Black Holes: Observing & Understanding | Astrophysics

In summary, the individual is new and uneducated in astrophysics but highly interested and influenced by popular science fiction. They question whether our movement through space at high speeds could affect our ability to observe black holes, but it is noted that the understanding of black holes through General Relativity is well-established and personal theories are not appropriate for discussion. The individual is advised to gain a strong understanding of physics and resources are recommended.
Clay Bartlett
I’m very new and uneducated but extremely interested in astrophysics. That said, I’m also tainted by popular science fiction with my theories. My question...is it possible that since black holes carry so much mass and with said mass slow space time down to a degree that we are moving too fast to observe it? Kind of like being in a fast vehicle on Earth passing by an object standing still, the faster the vehicle moves the harder it is to see a still object as you pass by it.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Clay Bartlett said:
I’m very new and uneducated but extremely interested in astrophysics. That said, I’m also tainted by popular science fiction with my theories. My question...is it possible that since black holes carry so much mass and with said mass slow space time down to a degree that we are moving too fast to observe it? Kind of like being in a fast vehicle on Earth passing by an object standing still, the faster the vehicle moves the harder it is to see a still object as you pass by it.

These forums are to learn about and discuss established physics. We can't discuss personal theories.

Note that the spacetime surrounding a black hole is well understood from General Relativity. So, there is no need for personal speculation in any case.

Its rather difficult to start developing personal theories in physics without the requisite background. Popular science while inspiring people to think in different ways, does not lay down the framework to understand what they are showcasing.

When Einstein did his now famous Gedanken ("thought") experiments, he did so while actually having or acquiring a strong background in the math and physics in order to frame his question well. For sure, he got side tracked by wrong assumptions and understanding but he found his way using his math and physics.

My suggestion here is to go back and learn more about Black Holes, General Relativity and how physics frames our understanding to really learn what we know and then you can speculate from there. Its a lot like wanting to reach the top of a mountain by walking straight ahead, experienced guides will tell that just won't work that instead you must travel the well worn routes that lead to the top and that you must be prepared for any eventuality during your journey and back.

Some good resources to help you make this journey would be:
- Khan Academy videos on Physics
- Openstax books on Physics and Astronomy
- Susskind's Theoretical Minimum book series (which provides the basics of physics without too much math)

Keep your question in mind as you read and see if you can find answers to it that make sense and reshape your understanding gleaned from popsci books and articles. I myself struggled with trying to shortcut my physics via popsci books and always found that there is a cavernous gap between what popsci tells you and what the physics+ math actually says about the phenomena.

Likes berkeman and Clay Bartlett
jedishrfu said:
Its rather difficult to start developing personal theories in physics without the requisite background. Popular science while inspiring people to think in different ways, does not lay down the framework to understand what they are showcasing.

When Einstein did his now famous Gedanken ("thought") experiments, he did so while actually having or acquiring a strong background in the math and physics in order to frame his question well. For sure, he got side tracked by wrong assumptions and understanding but he found his way using his math and physics.

My suggestion here is to go back and learn more about Black Holes, General Relativity and how physics frames our understanding to really learn what we know and then you can speculate from there. Its a lot like wanting to reach the top of a mountain by walking straight ahead, experienced guides will tell that just won't work that instead you must travel the well worn routes that lead to the top and that you must be prepared for any eventuality during your journey and back.

Some good resources to help you make this journey would be:
- Khan Academy videos on Physics
- Openstax books on Physics and Astronomy
- Susskind's Theoretical Minimum book series (which provides the basics of physics without too much math)

Keep your question in mind as you read and see if you can find answers to it that make sense and reshape your understanding gleaned from popsci books and articles. I myself struggled with trying to shortcut my physics via popsci books and always found that there is a cavernous gap between what popsci tells you and what the physics+ math actually says about the phenomena.
I will dive into them. Thank you for the recommendations.

Likes Nugatory and berkeman

1. What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region of space with such a strong gravitational pull that nothing, including light, can escape from it. It is created when a massive star dies and collapses in on itself.

2. How are black holes observed?

Black holes cannot be directly seen, but their presence can be detected through their effects on surrounding matter and light. Scientists use telescopes and other instruments to observe the behavior of stars and gas near a suspected black hole.

3. What is the event horizon of a black hole?

The event horizon is the point of no return for anything that enters a black hole. It is the boundary at which the gravitational pull becomes so strong that even light cannot escape.

4. Can we ever enter a black hole?

It is currently not possible for humans to enter a black hole because the intense gravity would tear us apart. However, some scientists theorize that it may be possible to enter a black hole and survive by traveling through a specific type of black hole called a wormhole.

5. What can we learn from studying black holes?

Studying black holes can help us better understand the laws of physics and the behavior of matter and energy in extreme conditions. It can also provide insight into the formation and evolution of galaxies, as black holes are often found at the center of galaxies.