Observing proposal for globular clusters in M31

In summary, the conversation discussed an observing proposal to detect globular clusters in the bulge of M31 using the Hubble telescope and WFC3. The proposal aims to acquire a sample of clusters with a mass of 10^6 M_{\odot} in the V-band and determine the desired signal-to-noise ratio, exposure time, and resolution for the observation. The sensitivity of the instrument, background noise, and sersic profile of the bulge component were also considered in developing the proposal.
sketos
Hello,

As part of a course I have been asked to make a observing proposal which aims to detect globular clusters in the bulge of M31. The "virtual" observation will be conducted using the Hubble telescope and the WFC3

To begin with we aim to acquire a sample of globular clusters down to [itex] 10^6 M_{\odot} [/itex] in the V-band.
Having a relation for the mass to light ratio i can determine the luminosity in the V-band we are looking for,

[tex] \frac{M}{L_v}=2.25log(M/M_{\odot})-10.43[/tex]

Then for the relation of of the luminosity and flux density,

[tex] f_v=C \frac{L_v}{4\pi d^2} [/tex]

i can estimate the desired flux density we are aiming for.

In addition we know that the bulge component dominates in flux of the disk and has a sersic profile with index n=2.2 .

Now my problem is how exactly can i determine what Signal-to-Noise ratio do i need and how i can determine the exposure time of my observation based on these informations. And what resolution do i want for my observation ?

If anyone has worked with that before , I could really use some help .

Astronomy news on Phys.org

Hello,

I would be happy to provide some guidance on your observing proposal. First of all, it is a great idea to use the Hubble telescope and the WFC3 for your virtual observation. This will provide high-quality data and allow you to study the globular clusters in the bulge of M31 in great detail.

To begin with, your goal is to detect globular clusters with a mass of 10^6 M_{\odot} in the V-band. This is a good starting point, but you should also consider the sensitivity of the instrument and the background noise. The sensitivity of the instrument will determine the faintest objects you can detect, while the background noise will affect the signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) of your observations.

To determine the desired SNR, you can use the following formula:

SNR = signal / noise

In your case, the signal is the flux density of the globular clusters, which you can calculate using the equation you provided. The noise is the background noise, which can be estimated using the sensitivity of the instrument and the exposure time. A higher SNR will result in a better detection of the globular clusters and more accurate measurements.

Next, you should consider the exposure time of your observation. This will depend on the sensitivity of the instrument, the desired SNR, and the brightness of the globular clusters. The brighter the clusters, the shorter the exposure time needed. You can use the sensitivity of the instrument and the desired SNR to estimate the exposure time needed to achieve your goals.

Lastly, you mentioned the sersic profile of the bulge component with an index of n=2.2. This information can be used to determine the desired resolution of your observation. The higher the resolution, the more detailed your images will be. You can use the sersic profile to estimate the angular size of the globular clusters and determine the required resolution to study them in detail.

I hope this helps you in developing your observing proposal. Please feel free to reach out if you have any further questions or need additional assistance. Good luck with your project!

1. What is the purpose of observing globular clusters in M31?

The purpose of observing globular clusters in M31 is to study their properties and characteristics, such as their age, structure, and chemical composition. This can provide valuable insights into the formation and evolution of both the globular clusters and the galaxy itself.

2. How will the observations be carried out?

The observations will be carried out using a telescope equipped with specialized instruments, such as a spectrograph, to gather data on the globular clusters. The observations may also be done in multiple wavelengths, such as optical and infrared, to gather a more comprehensive understanding of the clusters.

3. What are some specific research questions that can be addressed through this observing proposal?

Some specific research questions that can be addressed through this observing proposal include:

• What is the age distribution of the globular clusters in M31?
  • What is the metallicity of the globular clusters and how does it relate to the galaxy's evolution?
  • Are there any differences in the properties of globular clusters in different regions of M31?
  • Do the globular clusters in M31 show signs of tidal disruption or interactions with the galaxy's environment?

4. How will the data collected from these observations be analyzed?

The data collected from these observations will be analyzed using various techniques, such as photometry and spectroscopy, to measure the properties of the globular clusters. The data will also be compared to theoretical models to further understand the clusters and their relationship to the galaxy.

5. What are the potential implications of this study?

This study has the potential to provide valuable insights into the formation and evolution of globular clusters and galaxies. It can also contribute to our understanding of stellar populations and dynamics within M31. The findings from this study may also have implications for other galaxies and their globular clusters, allowing for a deeper understanding of the universe as a whole.