1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Obtaining the curve through envelope?

1. Apr 14, 2006 #1
    I was looking through how to obtain the curve if you have a family of straight lines.. and I found that you 'obtain the envelope' promptly looking this up i got:The form of envelope treated here is a manifold that manages to be tangent to some point of each member of a family of manifolds. Curves are the usual manifolds involved.

The simplest formal expression for an envelope of curves in the (x,y)-plane is the pair of equations

F(x,y,t)=0\qquad\qquad(1)\,

{\partial F(x,y,t)\over\partial t}=0\qquad\qquad(2)\,

where the family is implicitly defined by (1). Obviously the family has to be "nicely" -- differentiably -- indexed by t.

The logic of this form may not be obvious, but in the vulgar: solutions of (2) are places where F(x,y,t), and thus (x,y), are "constant" in t -- ie, where "adjacent" family members intersect, which is another feature of the envelope. [wikipedia]

any idea on how this could be done? a tip on how enveloping would be helpfull.. thank you

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?