Obvoiously True (Countability)

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of showing that any uncountable set has a countable subset. The distinction between at most countable and countable is clarified and the process of selecting elements from X to form a countable subset is suggested. It is mentioned that the proof can potentially be done inductively, but there are no concrete suggestions on how to do so.
CoachZ
I'm trying to show that any uncountable set has a countable subset.
First, let me point out that the distinction here between at most countable and countable is applied in this instance. At most countable implies either finite or countable, and countable is obvious.

Starting off, let X = the uncountable set, and choose some subset A of X, s.t. X\A = B. Not really sure where to go from this point. I had an idea that this could be proved inductively, but I'm not exactly sure how the process goes... Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not really sure where you're proof is going, but can you not just select elements from X to form an countable subset? For example, since X is uncountable, it is nonempty and thus you can find some a1 in X. Similarily, X \ {a1} is also uncountable and hence nonempty, so you can find some a2 in X \ {a1}. Each subset of the form X \ {a1, a2, ...} is uncountable and hence nonempty, so you can always find some element ai in it.

1. What is "Obvoiously True (Countability)"?

"Obvoiously True (Countability)" is a term used in mathematics and logic to describe statements or facts that are easily and obviously true and can be easily counted or verified.

2. How is "Obvoiously True (Countability)" different from other mathematical concepts?

"Obvoiously True (Countability)" is different from other mathematical concepts because it focuses on the simplicity and obviousness of a statement or fact, rather than its complexity or abstractness.

3. Can you give an example of an "Obvoiously True (Countability)" statement?

An example of an "Obvoiously True (Countability)" statement is "There are five fingers on my hand." This statement is obviously true and can be easily counted and verified.

4. How is "Obvoiously True (Countability)" useful in scientific research?

"Obvoiously True (Countability)" can be useful in scientific research because it allows for the quick and easy verification of certain facts or statements, which can then be used as a basis for more complex research or experiments.

5. Are there any limitations or criticisms of the concept of "Obvoiously True (Countability)"?

Some criticisms of "Obvoiously True (Countability)" include the subjectivity of what is considered "obvious" and the potential for overlooking important and less obvious truths. Additionally, some argue that the concept is too simplistic and does not account for the complexity of certain statements or facts.