Potential Across Two 50k Ohms Resistors in Open Circuit

In summary, the potential across the terminals of a battery connected to two 50k ohm resistors in an open circuit will be the unloaded cell voltage. In the second question, it is not clear which conductors are being referred to, but in general, conductors and resistors do not have a net charge unless they form a capacitor. The potential across them is determined by the voltage drop when there is current flow.
dE_logics
2 terminals of a battery are connected to 2 50k ohms resistor...but in open circuit.

i.e -

______
---------/\/\/\/\/\/---|______|--------/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/-----

______
the '/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/' are the resistors and the '|______|' is the cell wile '--------' are the wires.

What will be the potential across their terminals?

Another example of what I'm asking here is suppose we have 2 conductors submersed in a uniform electric field, one of the conductors has 50k resistance while the other has negligible; which conductor will gain more net charge when earthed?

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming that you're referring to the open end resistor terminals in your first question, the potential will be whatever the battery voltage is. The resistors have nothing to do with it unless they form a circuit. I don't understand your example, so maybe I'm misinterpreting your question. I don't normally think in terms of conductors and resistors as having a charge unless they form a capacitor. Conductors and resistors have a voltage drop across them when there is current flow.

First of all...sorry for the ultra late response...I got the answer...thanks!

What will be the potential across their terminals?

The potential across the cell will be the unloaded cell voltage.

1. What is a resistor?

A resistor is an electronic component that limits the flow of electric current in a circuit. It is made of a material that has high resistance to the flow of electricity, such as carbon or metal.

2. What is an open circuit?

An open circuit is a circuit that is not complete, meaning there is a break in the flow of electricity. This can be caused by a disconnected wire, a faulty component, or an intentional switch. In an open circuit, current cannot flow through the circuit.

3. How do you calculate potential across two 50k ohm resistors in an open circuit?

To calculate the potential across two 50k ohm resistors in an open circuit, you would use Ohm's Law, which states that potential (V) equals current (I) multiplied by resistance (R). In this case, since the circuit is open, there is no current flowing through the resistors, so the potential across them would be zero.

4. What is the purpose of calculating potential across two resistors in an open circuit?

Calculating potential across two resistors in an open circuit can help determine the voltage drop across each resistor. This information can be useful in troubleshooting a circuit or designing a circuit with specific voltage requirements.

5. Can the potential across two 50k ohm resistors in an open circuit ever be non-zero?

No, the potential across two 50k ohm resistors in an open circuit will always be zero because there is no current flowing through the resistors. In order for there to be a potential difference, there needs to be a flow of current, which is not the case in an open circuit.