1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

OC voltage

1. Apr 13, 2009 #1
    2 terminals of a battery are connected to 2 50k ohms resistor...but in open circuit.

i.e -

______
    ---------/\/\/\/\/\/---|______|--------/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/-----

______
    the '/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/' are the resistors and the '|______|' is the cell wile '--------' are the wires.

What will be the potential across their terminals?

Another example of what I'm asking here is suppose we have 2 conductors submersed in a uniform electric field, one of the conductors has 50k resistance while the other has negligible; which conductor will gain more net charge when earthed?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2009 #2
    Assuming that you're referring to the open end resistor terminals in your first question, the potential will be whatever the battery voltage is. The resistors have nothing to do with it unless they form a circuit. I don't understand your example, so maybe I'm misinterpreting your question. I don't normally think in terms of conductors and resistors as having a charge unless they form a capacitor. Conductors and resistors have a voltage drop across them when there is current flow.

4. Apr 26, 2009 #3
    First of all...sorry for the ultra late response...I got the answer...thanks!

5. Apr 26, 2009 #4
    What will be the potential across their terminals?

The potential across the cell will be the unloaded cell voltage.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook