Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ocean currents Q

1. Dec 12, 2007 #1
    Hello everyone, first post on this forum...

Recently I've been trying to understand how ocean currents work from a general perspective. While studying, an intrigueing question popped up in my mind, and I haven't been able to let it go unanswered. It is simply:

If the Earth was a completely smooth, ocean covered sphere (but otherwise unchanged), how would the ocean currents flow?

I think that answering this Q might help one to understand what makes all the world's real ocean currents tick. Any suggestion?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't think they would - I thought the main currents were driven by salinity differences as fresh water enters at the pole ( at least for the northern hemisphere )
  4. Dec 12, 2007 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Surface currents: from equator N & S (plus coriolis E) to higher latitudes; once heat loss by radiation exceeds that absorbed from solar radiation, the water sinks, then flows from the poles toward the equator (again, plus coriolis W).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?