1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ocean Currents

1. Feb 2, 2006 #1
    I have to list the temperature (cold or warm, the black ones "are the same temperature as the current leading into it") of the following currents:

North Atlantic
    Labrador (Newfoundland)
    Oyashio (Japan)
    Alaska
    California
    Gulf Stream
    Canary (NWAfrica)
    Kuroshio (Taiwan)
    Peru
    Brazil
    Benguela (S. Africa)
    East Australian Current
    Antarctic Circumpolar Current

...and I've done all of them except for one...

Surface Ocean Current Map

I still have to find the temperature of the Antarctic Circumpolar Current. I've located it but I can't figure out which current is leading into it. I'm thinking that it's warm but I'm not totally sure...

Last edited: Feb 2, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2006 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

4. Feb 3, 2006 #3
    First, look for similarities and/or patterns that you can develop for each group. Describe the patterns you find within each group of currents. What pattern do you see between the temperature of the current and where it is located?

I've looked and looked but I can't find a pattern...

Currents found from 90° north to 45° north:
    Alaska
    North Atlantic
    Labrador
    Oyashio

Currents found from 40° north to the equator:
    California
    Gulf Stream
    Canary
    Kuroshio

Currents found from the equator to 40° south:
    Peru
    Brazil
    Benguela
    East Australian Current

Currents found from 45° south to 90° south:
    Antarctic Circumpolar Current

Now, I asked my teacher and he said, "You are on the right track. Look at similarities in regards to temperatures and the location of the currents. Also look at currents on the west vs. east coast and their temperatures. Also concentrate on the motion, clockwise or counter-clockwise of the various currents and their locations both in reference to the continents and the equator." However, I still can't see anything besides, "I can't see any similarities in the first group but the middle two (Currents found from 40° north to the equator and Currents found from the equator to 40° south) are all going the same direction. The currents found 40° north to the equator are going clockwise while the currents found from the equator to 40° south are going counter-clockwise."

5. Feb 3, 2006 #4

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?