Best Path for Ocean Engineering: ME, EE, or Physics?

In summary, a career in Ocean Engineering has been suggested as a good fit for someone who wants to combine their interest in engineering with a connection to nature and the ocean. It has been noted that there is a high demand for engineers in ocean sciences, particularly in places like Scripps in San Diego. The most needed discipline in engineering for this field is likely a major in ME with a minor or emphasis in EE, as there is a lot of hands-on work involved. However, it has also been suggested that majors in EE, ME, or even physics could be suitable. Some universities, such as MIT, offer undergraduate programs in OE that combine elements of EE, ME, and Civil engineering. It is recommended to focus on ME or EE for
blaughli
I have been advised by some helpful PF folks that Ocean Engineering might be a good path for someone like me who is interested in engineering but wants to maintain a connection to nature and the ocean. A friend who is a PhD at Scripps in San Diego says that more than anything they need engineers at places like this, so I am happy that my two years of engineering prep have been time well spent. Now I am wondering which discipline in engineering is most needed in the Ocean Sciences. My feeling is that majoring in ME with a minor or emphasis in EE is a good path, since it seems like there's a lot of hands-work awaiting in these labs. But if anyone has experience or advice to offer please help. What is the best, most rigorous path that will lead to the greatest opportunities in OE?

I know MIT has an undergrad OE program, and I'm sure other schools do too. I like the sound of those because they seem like a mix of EE, ME, and Civil! Best to try for that or focus on ME or EE BS first? Or maybe physics!?

Physics news on Phys.org
THis past summer I did an REU with an Oceanographer, he started as a ME if that helps. I think as long as you take E&M, Fluid Mechanics, Stat Therm physics, and PDE's you should be ok.

Thanks NeoZeon, those are all things I've done or plan to take. What was your REU like, what were your feelings about oceanography?

1. What is the difference between ocean engineering, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, and physics?

Ocean engineering is a specialized field that focuses on the design, construction, and operation of structures and systems in or near the ocean. Mechanical engineering is a broad field that deals with the design and operation of mechanical systems, while electrical engineering focuses on the design and operation of electrical systems. Physics is the study of matter and energy and their interactions. Each of these fields has its own unique applications and areas of focus, but there is some overlap in the principles and techniques used.

2. Which major would provide the most opportunities for working with marine technology?

Ocean engineering would provide the most opportunities for working with marine technology, as it is specifically focused on this field and includes courses on marine technology, offshore structures, and underwater systems.

3. What skills are needed to be successful in ocean engineering?

Successful ocean engineers need to have a strong background in math and physical sciences, as well as strong problem-solving and critical thinking skills. They should also have a strong understanding of engineering principles and the ability to work well in a team.

4. How can I determine which major is the best fit for me?

It is important to research each major and its specific curriculum to determine which aligns best with your interests and career goals. You can also speak with advisors and professionals in each field to gain more insight and advice.

5. Are there any career paths that combine all three majors (ME, EE, and Physics) in ocean engineering?

Yes, there are several career paths in ocean engineering that require knowledge and skills from all three majors. Some examples include designing and developing underwater robots or sensors, developing renewable energy systems for offshore structures, and conducting research on ocean currents and waves using physics principles. Many ocean engineering jobs also require a multidisciplinary approach, so having knowledge in all three majors can be beneficial.