Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ocean in my sea shell

1. Feb 14, 2009 #1
    How is it one can hear the sound of the ocean in some sea shells?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2009 #2

matthyaouw

Gold Member

4. Feb 14, 2009 #3

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's because every sea shell contains a tiny radio with loudspeaker, tuned in to the national seaside acoustics organisation's transmitter.

5. Feb 14, 2009 #4
    LOL,
    Well there you have it! I didn't think actual nature had anything to do with it. I'm so happy I asked someone one smart.... Realllllllly smart!~

However reading from the link matthyaouw offered, I tried holding my hands over my ear and did get such a sound but only on the side of the desk that has a fan. The other ear does not get the ocean (just gremlins) I guess my right ear is receiving transmission better right now.
    What this does not explain is being in total quiet and hearing the sound loudly from a sea shell. Unless there are noises that have that rushing sound going on all the time and we just don't notice it.
    Want more information please. This came up in a conversation because I got a sea shell many years ago as a girl on Valentines' Day. But now everyone in our home is watching this thread.
    Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook