1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ocean physics (wave speed)

1. May 4, 2009 #1
    The speed of water waves in shallow water is given approximately by:

c^2 = gh

A seiche is a standing wave in a shallow water basin with antinodes at ends and a node in the center.

A lake is approximately a channel 9 km wide and 300 m deep. Calculate the seiche period for such a channel.

** What i think i can do with this problem is that i can use the height h=300m in the equation but i dont think that will give me the right answer. I am thinking that i should find the area of the channel but i dont know how to use that in the formula to find the speed.

Any ideas?

thank you

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2009 #2

diazona

Homework Helper

Why do you think using the height 300m will give you the wrong answer?

4. May 4, 2009 #3
    When i did the calculations i got the answer as 54.2 s, which i think is not right for the period of wave. but i could be wrong, also i was thinking about using the width of the channel to see if i get a different answer. but i dont think that works out either.

5. May 4, 2009 #4
    Oh yup i figured it out. I can use the formula of c = 2L / sqrt(g h)

that give me the speed of a wave through a channel... thank you for your help!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook