UW-Madison Student: Oceanography Advice for UC-San Diego

In summary, the speaker is a first year student at UW-Madison planning to triple major in Physics, Astronomy Physics, and Gender and Women's Studies. They are interested in applying to the graduate program at UC-San Diego with the Scripps Institute of Oceanography, specifically in Physical and Biological Oceanography. They are seeking information on the number of applicants and acceptance rate for these programs and are considering contacting the university for more information.
NewInquirer
I'm a first year student at UW-Madison and plan on triple majoring in Physics, Astronomy Physics, and Gender and Women's Studies (I like variation). I've been reading up on a graduate program with UC-San Diego with the Scripps Institute of Oceanography and was wondering if anyone knew how many applicants they have each year and how many are accepted? I'm thinking about their Physical Oceanography program and their Biological Oceanography program, in particular. If anyone can tell me what the number of applicants are each year or what the acceptance rate is, it would be very much appreciated! Other related comments are welcome!

Physics news on Phys.org
They usually publish the numbers of admitted students along with their average scores et al. You might try checking the website for more information on that. I briefly looked over their Graduate Admissions section but couldn't find it. If all else fails, contact them and ask.

All right. So I've checked their website a couple times and I couldn't find any information on it. So I guess I'll just try to contact them. I really didn't want to contact them unless I absolutely had to because I thought it might look odd to be getting a question from a first year undergrad about their grad program, but I guess that's what I have to do. Thanks for the suggestions!

Well, you really don't have to identify yourself. Just make a call and politely ask them if they have that information listed somewhere.

As a fellow scientist, I can offer some advice on your interest in oceanography and the graduate program at UC-San Diego. The Scripps Institute of Oceanography is a highly respected institution in the field of oceanography, and their graduate programs are competitive. Unfortunately, I do not have specific information on the number of applicants or acceptance rate for their Physical and Biological Oceanography programs. However, I would recommend reaching out to the admissions office at UC-San Diego or contacting current students or alumni from those programs for more information. It may also be helpful to attend virtual information sessions or webinars hosted by the university to learn more about the application process and the program itself. Additionally, I would suggest gaining research experience and building a strong academic background in your chosen majors to make your application stand out. I wish you all the best in your academic pursuits and future career in oceanography.

1. What is the difference between studying oceanography at UW-Madison and UC-San Diego?

There are several differences between studying oceanography at UW-Madison and UC-San Diego. UW-Madison has a larger focus on freshwater systems, while UC-San Diego has a larger focus on marine systems. Additionally, UW-Madison offers a Bachelor of Science in Oceanography, while UC-San Diego offers both a Bachelor of Science and a Bachelor of Arts in Marine Science. The research opportunities and facilities may also differ between the two universities.

2. What types of research opportunities are available for oceanography students at UW-Madison?

UW-Madison offers a variety of research opportunities for oceanography students, including studying the Great Lakes, ocean acidification, aquatic ecology, and marine biogeochemistry. Students can also participate in field research on Lake Mendota and Lake Monona, as well as conduct research at the Wisconsin Institute for Marine Science.

3. Is it possible to study abroad as an oceanography student at UW-Madison?

Yes, it is possible to study abroad as an oceanography student at UW-Madison. The university offers several study abroad programs specifically for oceanography students, including programs in Australia, New Zealand, and the Galapagos Islands. Additionally, students can also participate in other study abroad programs and tailor their coursework to focus on marine science.

4. What career opportunities are available for oceanography students from UW-Madison?

Graduates from UW-Madison's oceanography program have a variety of career opportunities available to them. Some common career paths include working as a marine scientist, oceanographer, environmental consultant, or research scientist. Many graduates also go on to pursue graduate degrees in fields such as marine biology, oceanography, or environmental science.

5. Can you provide any tips for succeeding in the oceanography program at UW-Madison?

To succeed in the oceanography program at UW-Madison, it is important to stay organized and manage your time effectively. Take advantage of research opportunities and get to know your professors, as they can provide valuable guidance and mentorship. Additionally, make sure to participate in extracurricular activities related to oceanography, such as joining a marine science club or volunteering with a local environmental organization.