1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Octave: M-Files

1. Aug 2, 2008 #1
    Hello everyone.

I recently had to use Octave on campus, and I noticed they had a newer version from the last time I used it. The interface is very much more like that of MATLAB's, with the history, file directory etc. on the left-hand side; but most importantly, it allowed you to have an 'edit' page for writing scripts and M-files, like MATLAB, which you can run from the 'input' page (sorry I don't know the technical terms.).

The version I have on my laptop is 2.9, so does anybody know which version of Octave this was they had on campus, or is there some way I can update my version so it is more like this?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2008 #2

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You should be able to go to the web site and download an updated .rpm and install it.

4. Aug 4, 2008 #3
    Im sorry, I'm not so hot with computers- what is this .rpm you talk about?

5. Aug 4, 2008 #4
    I don't know what operating system you use, but the current stable version of Octave is 3.0.1, available for several different systems here:
    http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/download.html

By the way, an .rpm is a package for the Redhat Package Manager - Most linux distributions have package management systems so that you don't have to compile the software yourself.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?