Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Octave: M-Files

1. Aug 2, 2008 #1
    Hello everyone.

I recently had to use Octave on campus, and I noticed they had a newer version from the last time I used it. The interface is very much more like that of MATLAB's, with the history, file directory etc. on the left-hand side; but most importantly, it allowed you to have an 'edit' page for writing scripts and M-files, like MATLAB, which you can run from the 'input' page (sorry I don't know the technical terms.).

The version I have on my laptop is 2.9, so does anybody know which version of Octave this was they had on campus, or is there some way I can update my version so it is more like this?
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2008 #2

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You should be able to go to the web site and download an updated .rpm and install it.
  4. Aug 4, 2008 #3
    Im sorry, I'm not so hot with computers- what is this .rpm you talk about?
  5. Aug 4, 2008 #4
    I don't know what operating system you use, but the current stable version of Octave is 3.0.1, available for several different systems here:

By the way, an .rpm is a package for the Redhat Package Manager - Most linux distributions have package management systems so that you don't have to compile the software yourself.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?