Odd and even in complex fourier series

In summary, the conversation discusses the determination of whether a function is odd, even, or neither in Complex Fourier Series, as well as how to write sums using Latex. It is also mentioned that the function in question cannot be classified as either odd or even due to the presence of a constant term. The conversation also touches on solving PDE problems related to Finite Fourier Cosine Transform and determining the fundamental period of a function.
Aows

Homework Statement

In Complex Fourier series, how to determine the function is odd or even or neither, as in the given equation
$$ I(t)= \pi + \sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty \frac j n e^{jnt} $$

Homework Equations

##Co=\pi##
##\frac {ao} 2 = \pi##
##Cn=\frac j n##
##C_{-n}= \frac {-j} n ##
##an=0##
##bn=-2/n##

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
To get Latex on the Physics Forums system, you need to type ## on both sides of the expression.

Likes Aows
Charles Link said:
To get Latex on the Physics Forums system, you need to type ## on both sides of the expression.
thanks indeed, @Charles Link
how can i write sum from minus infinity to infinity ??

Aows said:
thanks indeed,
how can i write sum from minus infinity to infinity ??
Google ="Sums in Latex". Many of these I don't memorize=I need to google them as well.

Likes Aows
Charles Link said:
Google ="Sums in Latex". Many of these I don't memorize=I need to google them as well.
I see,
thanks anyway

Aows said:
I see,
thanks anyway
In the exponent, if you put it inside of { } , it will do it properly. Also your infinity in the lower part of your sum needs a \.

Likes Aows
Charles Link said:
In the exponent, if you put it inside of { } , it will do it properly. Also your infinity in the lower part of your sum needs a \.
yes,
I corrected now,
many thanks

Charles Link said:
where is my mistake in the exponent? @Charles Link
I(t)= \pi + \sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty \frac j n eˆ{jnt}\

In this one, you need ## e^{jnt}=\cos(nt)+j \sin(nt) ##. The ## \cos(nt) ## function is even, but ## \sin(nt) ## is odd.

Likes Aows
Aows said:
where is my mistake in the exponent? @Charles Link
I(t)= \pi + \sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty \frac j n eˆ{jnt}\
You used \frac incorrectly. You need to write \frac{j}{n}

Likes Aows
Charles Link said:
In this one, you need ## e^{jnt}=\cos(nt)+j \sin(nt) ##. The ## \cos(nt) ## function is even, but ## \sin(nt) ## is odd.
in the solution it said that the function is neither odd nor even, why is that ? @Charles Link

And your final "\" isn't needed in the expression.

Likes Aows
Aows said:
in the solution it said that the function is neither odd nor even, why is that ? @Charles Link
The ## \pi ## in front of other terms keeps ## I(t) ## from being either even or odd regardless of anything else. We can not write ## I(t)=I(-t) ## which would make it even, and we also can't write ## I(t)=-I(-t) ## which would make ## I(t) ## odd.

Likes Aows
Charles Link said:
## I(t) ## because of the ## \pi ## in front of other terms is likely to keep ## I(t) ## from being either even or odd. In this case regardless, we can not write ## I(t)=I(-t) ## which would make it even, and we also can't write I(t)=-I(-t) ## which would make ## I(t) ## odd.
thanks indeed for this explanation, @Charles Link

Likes Charles Link
can you solve PDE problems of FFCT (finite Fourier cosine transform) ? @Charles Link

Charles Link said:
The ## \pi ## in front of other terms keeps ## I(t) ## from being either even or odd regardless of anything else. We can not write ## I(t)=I(-t) ## which would make it even, and we also can't write ## I(t)=-I(-t) ## which would make ## I(t) ## odd.
A minor clarification: If it had been even, the ## \pi ## would be ok. The terms following the ## \pi ## are a mixture of even and odd terms.

Likes Aows
Charles Link said:
A minor clarification: If it had been even, the ## \pi ## would be ok. The terms following the ## \pi ## are a mixture of even and odd terms.
i didn't understand this, kindly, can you clarify more? @Charles Link

Aows said:
can you solve PDE problems of FFCT (finite Fourier cosine transform) ? @Charles Link
It's not my area of expertise. There are other mathematicians on the Physics Forums who would most likely know the subject quite well.

Likes Aows
can we determine the value of the fundamental period for this ? @Charles Link

Aows said:
i didn't understand this, kindly, can you clarify more? @Charles Link
## I(t)=\pi+A(t) ##. If ## A(t)=A(-t) ##, then ## I(t)=I(-t) ## and the function is even. Instead though, ## A(t) ## in this case has cosine terms that are even, and sine terms that are odd, and ## I(t) ## is neither even or odd.

Likes Aows
can we determine the fundamental period for this function? @Charles Link

Aows said:
can we determine the value of the fundamental period for this ? @Charles Link
## \omega_n t= n \omega_o t=n( \frac{2 \pi}{T}) t=nt ##, where ## T ## is the fundamental period. That part is simple.

Likes Aows
Charles Link said:
## \omega_n t= n \omega_o t=n( \frac{2 \pi}{T}) t=nt ##, where ## T ## is the fundamental period. That part is simple.
the solution said that the fundamental period ## T_0 = 2 \pi ##

Aows said:
the solution said that the fundamental period ## T_0 = 2 *pi ##
Presumably, you mean ## T=2 \pi ##. Do the algebra on the equation I wrote, and that's what you get. (Note: You need to use \ with Latex and not /. The / is used for a fraction ).

Charles Link said:
actually, i can't understand this... @Charles Link

Aows said:
actually, i can't understand this... @Charles Link
In Fourier Series, the nth frequency component is ## A_n e^{j \omega_n t} ##, for some complex constant ## A_n ##. ## \omega_n=n \omega_o ## where ## \omega_o ## is the fundamental frequency. The ## \omega_o=2 \pi f_o ## where ## f_o=\frac{1}{T} ##. ## f ## is the actual frequency, but oftentimes ## \omega ## is also called the frequency. In any case ## T ## is the period over which the function is periodic. Any function that is periodic in ## T ## can be expressed as a Fourier series with the ## \omega_n ## , etc.

Likes Aows
Charles Link said:
In Fourier Series, the nth frequency component is ## A_n e^{j \omega_n t} ##, for some complex constant ## A_n ##. ## \omega_n=n \omega_o ## where ## \omega_o ## is the fundamental frequency. The ## \omega_o=2 \pi f_o ## where ## f_o=\frac{1}{T} ##. ## f ## is the actual frequency, but oftentimes ## \omega ## is also called the frequency. In any case ## T ## is the period over which the function is periodic.
thanks indeed Dear Mr. @Charles Link
appreciate your help

Likes Charles Link

1. What is the definition of "odd and even" in a complex Fourier series?

Odd and even refer to the symmetry of a function in relation to its center or origin. A function is considered odd if it is symmetric about the origin, meaning that f(x) = -f(-x). A function is considered even if it is symmetric about its center, meaning that f(x) = f(-x).

2. How do odd and even functions affect the coefficients in a complex Fourier series?

In a complex Fourier series, only the sine coefficients exist for odd functions and only the cosine coefficients exist for even functions. This is because the sine and cosine functions are odd and even, respectively, and when multiplied by an odd or even function, the resulting product will also be odd or even.

3. Can a function be both odd and even in a complex Fourier series?

No, a function cannot be both odd and even in a complex Fourier series. This is because if a function is both odd and even, it must satisfy both f(x) = -f(-x) and f(x) = f(-x), which is only possible if the function is equal to zero.

4. How do odd and even functions impact the convergence of a complex Fourier series?

Odd functions have only sine coefficients and even functions have only cosine coefficients, which leads to simpler calculations for the coefficients. This can result in faster convergence of the complex Fourier series compared to a general function with both sine and cosine coefficients.

5. Can a complex Fourier series represent any function, regardless of whether it is odd or even?

Yes, a complex Fourier series can represent any periodic function, regardless of whether it is odd or even. This is because complex Fourier series are able to represent both the magnitude and phase of a function, allowing for a wide range of functions to be accurately represented.