Odd behavior with IE, smilies and quotes

• Thread starter Moonbear
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a strange issue that occurred when replying to a post using the "quote" button. The issue involved the quote tag not appearing, strange symbols appearing, and text being erased when trying to insert a smiley. The problem was experienced while using Internet Explorer on a Mac computer and there was a suggestion to switch to a different browser. The conversation also included discussions about importing bookmarks from one browser to another.
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hmm...when I was replying to dduardo's post in another thread here, something bizarre kept happening (but not when I replied to Hitssquad's post).

With both, I clicked on the "quote" button at the bottom of their posts to reply to them, and all was normal when I replied to Hitssquad's post, stuck in a smiley, and had no problems. Then, I did the same to reply to dduardo, and the quote tag at the start of the message wasn't there (I had to manually type it in), there was some strange symbols instead (a bracket { and some other stuff), and then when I tried to insert a smiley by clicking on one, it erased everything in the text box that I had just typed. The first time, I thought I had inadvertently selected the text, so tried again, and it did it twice more. (BTW, this was in the thread about the New Banner.)

I'm posting using IE v. 5.2.3 for Mac OsX (v 10.2.8) if that is relevant (it might be since I've never seen that happen when using Safari on OS v 10.3.?, which is what I have when I'm posting from home; haven't gotten around to switching to Safari in the office yet).

I'm wondering if this is what Moses was ranting about over in General Discussion when he couldn't get smilies to work without typing them in by hand. Or has dduardo done some evil techno guru trick of quote-proofing his posts? :devil:

Physics news on Phys.org
My only suggestion would be to go here www.getfirefox.com and never speak of IE again :smile:

mattmns said:
My only suggestion would be to go here www.getfirefox.com and never speak of IE again :smile:

I second that! :biggrin:

LOL! I don't use IE at home. If there's an easy way to move about a zillion bookmarks (okay, maybe somewhat fewer than that) from IE to Safari, I'll switch tomorrow!

I am not sure about Safari, but I think firefox will automatically import all of your IE bookmakrs into firefox.

Anyway, I'm not too worried about what browser I use at work. It's high time I kicked IE off that computer anyway (I'm finding the less MSN software I use, the less my computers crash...funny how that happens). I already have Safari installed on it, so no need to download yet another browser, just have been too lazy to move my bookmarks. The main reason I brought it up is I saw Moses ranting about something semi-incoherent to do with smilies, then I had this odd response today and thought it might be similar to the problem he was running into, so maybe not just a quirk of my computer.

Moonbear said:
LOL! I don't use IE at home. If there's an easy way to move about a zillion bookmarks (okay, maybe somewhat fewer than that) from IE to Safari, I'll switch tomorrow!

If you plan on using Firefox in the near future, assuming that you have the Firefox browser open:

Go to Bookmarks--->>Manage Bookmarks (from there a new page would open) called "Bookmarks Manager" from there choose File on the menu--->>then Import

From Import another window will open which is "Import Wizard"

then just choose Import Bookmarks from: Internet Explorer hit Next and you're done.

1. Why do smilies and quotes appear differently in Internet Explorer compared to other browsers?

Internet Explorer uses a different rendering engine than other browsers, which can cause variations in how certain elements, like smilies and quotes, are displayed.

2. How can I fix odd behavior with smilies and quotes in Internet Explorer?

One solution is to use conditional comments to target specific versions of Internet Explorer and apply different CSS rules to fix the display issues. Another option is to use a compatibility script that can help normalize the rendering across browsers.

3. Why does the odd behavior with smilies and quotes only happen in certain versions of Internet Explorer?

As mentioned, Internet Explorer uses different rendering engines in different versions, so the odd behavior may only occur in specific versions. It's important to test and troubleshoot in multiple versions to identify the root cause.

4. Will fixing the odd behavior with smilies and quotes in Internet Explorer affect how they are displayed in other browsers?

It's possible that making changes to fix the display in Internet Explorer may affect how smilies and quotes are displayed in other browsers. It's important to test and make adjustments as needed to ensure consistent display across all browsers.

5. Are there any other potential causes for odd behavior with smilies and quotes in Internet Explorer?

Yes, there could be other underlying issues that are causing the odd behavior, such as conflicting CSS or JavaScript, outdated plugins, or browser settings. It's important to thoroughly troubleshoot and test to identify the root cause.