Odd Internet Connection Icon - Have You Seen It?

• Thread starter Macgyver
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Connection
In summary, there is a reported occurrence of a small yellow dot orbiting a wireless internet connection icon on the taskbar of a Windows XP SP2 system. The person who noticed it was on the phone with their girlfriend at the time, who confirmed that it had started happening on its own. The connection properties were normal, but there is a concern that it could potentially be a virus.
Macgyver
Has anyone ever seen or herd of an internet connection icon showing a small yellow dot orbiting it, similar to the EarthLink emblem? Specifically, a wireless internet connection icon on the taskbar of a Windows XP SP2 system.

I was on the phone with my girlfriend when she told me about it, so i didn't see it, but she did say that it just started doing that on its own (she doesn't have EarthLink). I had her mouse over it, and the info was all normal and so were the connection properties. Well, as normal as i could tell from what she read to me.

Just wondering if anyone has herd of this.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Don't know.
OTOH any change like that occurring without activity on your part is a serious red flag.
I would definately be looking for a virus.

I wasn't worried about it, but I will definitely look for a virus now.

Thanks for the heads-up NoTime.

1. What does the odd internet connection icon look like?

The odd internet connection icon varies depending on the device and operating system being used, but it often looks like a small exclamation mark or a symbol resembling a disconnected plug.

2. Why do I have an odd internet connection icon?

The odd internet connection icon usually appears when there is an issue with your internet connection. This could be due to a weak signal, network congestion, or a problem with your device's settings.

3. How do I fix the odd internet connection icon?

The first step to fixing the odd internet connection icon is to troubleshoot your internet connection. This can include checking your device's network settings, restarting your router, or contacting your internet service provider for assistance.

4. Does the odd internet connection icon affect my internet speed?

In most cases, the odd internet connection icon does not affect your internet speed. However, if the issue causing the icon to appear is not resolved, it could lead to slower internet speeds or difficulty connecting to certain websites or apps.

5. Is the odd internet connection icon a cause for concern?

The odd internet connection icon is usually not a cause for concern. However, if the issue persists and affects your ability to use the internet, it is recommended to seek assistance to resolve the underlying problem.