1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Odd Gauss's Law question

1. Jan 27, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Calculate E inside and outside an infinite cylinder of uniform volume charge density using the differential form of Gauss's law.

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\nabla[/tex] E = [tex]\frac{p}{e0}[/tex]

p = charge density

Divergence in cylindrical polars:

be94b3e55572cfa8cb0fe2a048324766.png

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm aware this is much easier using the integral form. I have no problem with calculating E field of various symmetrical shapes using the integral form. However I specifically have to use the differential form. I've never seen an example of this and have looked for quite a while, and I'm not really sure what I'm doing at all.

All I can think is that by symmetry, differential of E in terms of theta and z are zero, but this still leaves an awkward derivative of E in terms of r, and I'm not sure what to do at that point.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2010 #2

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have to use the awkward derivative, sorry. I am going to change symbols and use r for the radial coordinate and ρ for the volume charge density which is constant in this case. You get

[tex]\frac{d(E_r r)}{dr}=\frac{\rho \; r}{\epsilon_0}[/tex]

Can you solve this differential equation?

4. Jan 27, 2010 #3
    That's pretty much what I did, but I didn't think to multiply through by r. After that the integration is quite straight forward, and by varying the limits accordingly I get the same result as by the integral form for E field both inside and outside the cylinder.

Thanks a lot!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook