1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Odd integration problem

1. Oct 6, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In the process of solving a physics problem, I've run across an integration that I'm not sure I've ever had to perform before. It's of the form $$\int \frac{1}{a - (\frac{dy}{dx})(x)} dx$$ where ##a## is a constant.

2. Relevant equations

Table integral?

3. The attempt at a solution

I honestly have no clue where to even begin with this. I do not have a functional form for ##y##, it's simply a quantity that changes with respect to ##x##. Any hints on where to begin?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2013 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your notation is confusing: is the denominator supposed to be ## 1 - a x y'(x)## or ##1-a y'(x)##, where ##y'(x) = dy(x)/dx.## That is, is the (x) an argument of f', or does it multuply f'(x)?

As far as I can see you can write more-or-less ANY integrand h(x) in that form: just put
    [tex] h(x) = \frac{1}{a-y'(x)} \Longrightarrow y'(x) = \frac{h(x)-1}{a h(x)} [/tex] if your integrand is 1/(1-ay'), or put
    [tex] h(x) = \frac{1}{a - x y'(x)} \Longrightarrow y'(x) = \frac{1-h(x)}{a x h(x)}[/tex]
    if your integrand is 1/(1-a*x*y').

So, to summarize: your integrand can be anything at all, so there is no way to do the integral.

4. Oct 6, 2013 #3
    I'm sorry, ##x## is being multiplied in the denominator. Well, um, that's certainly disappointing. I guess it's back to the drawing board. Thank you for your help!

5. Oct 6, 2013 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If it's a physics problem you probably know something about the relation between y' and x. What kind of problem is it?

6. Oct 6, 2013 #5
    Momentum transport. In this case, ##x## is time, and ##y'(x)## is the change in mass with respect to time. So really the integral is $$\int_0^t \bigg(\frac{1}{M + m - (t')(\frac{dm}{dt'})}\bigg) dt'$$ where ##t'## is a dummy variable. ##M## and ##m## are the masses of a truck and of an original mass of sand, respectively, so they're constants, and ##(t)(\frac{dm}{dt})## is the amount of sand that falls out the truck after a time ##t##.

7. Oct 6, 2013 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Since you are multiplying t' times dm/dt', I think it's pretty likely you are assuming the rate of mass change dm/dt' is constant. Are you?

8. Oct 6, 2013 #7
    Oh no, you're right, I certainly am! So I should be able to manipulate that into something of the form $$\int \frac{1}{1 + x} dx$$ right? Which is just ##ln(1 + x)##?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  9. Oct 6, 2013 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure, so the integral isn't a real problem. Now I'd worry that the integral is computing something like the average value of 1/mass over a portion of the trip, which doesn't sound very useful for momentum problems, but then I don't know exactly what you are doing.

10. Oct 6, 2013 #9
    I'm actually calculating the impulse and dividing by the mass to get velocity, but the force in this particular case happens to be time independent, so I just pulled it out of the integral.

11. Oct 6, 2013 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok, carry on.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted