Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Odd Optimization Problem

1. Oct 8, 2013 #1

hotvette

Homework Helper

I have a function z=f(x,y) that is reasonably well behaved (single global maximum). I can readily compute the value of z as well as partials of z with respect to x and y. I can also quite easily find the maximum.

The challenge is to find the maximum and minimum values of x where c = constant = f(x,y). In other words, I'm trying to find the extreme values of x for a given level curve. I also know that the extreme values of x occur along a ridge (i.e. where the partial of f with respect to y is zero). In a way, this is a backwards constrained optimization problem, where the value of the function is contrained and the goal is to optimize the values of the variables.

Currently, I'm using a combination of Newton's method and Brent's method to successfully solve the problem, but I'm wondering if there might be a more elegant and mathematically rigorous approach. Any suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2013 #2

Erland

Science Advisor

Why not just use Lagrange multipliers, optimizing the function g(x,y)=x with the constraint equation f(x,y)-c=0?

4. Oct 9, 2013 #3

hotvette

Homework Helper

Wow, I didn't realize it was really that simple. Turns out the optimization exercise gets me right back to what I already knew (partial f / partial x = 0 and f - c = 0). Two (nonlinear in this case) equations in two unknowns. Straightforward on the surface. Then it comes to a choice of how to solve the two equations. Newton's method reveals a very badly conditioned system that I can't seem to get around. Thus, it appears my original approach may indeed be the most practical. Thanks for helping get the entire picture more clear.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook