Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Odd quoting behaviour

Tags:
  1. Jun 13, 2015 #1

Ibix

Science Advisor

While quoting a post earlier I came across the following interesting behaviour. I pasted a QUOTE tag in to a place where the person I was quoting had used large bold text, and accidentally made the QUOTE tag large bold text. This seems to have cause the behaviour below - there is only one QUOTE tag, but it generates two quote blocks. Pasting the QUOTE tag on the previous line (so it was in normal text) then deleting until the "or" was on the same line fixed the behaviour.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2015 #2

Ibix

Science Advisor

I just went to edit the above and see that there are two QUOTE tags in the editor view - which explains the two blocks. But I only put one in to my original post - something in PF added a /QUOTE and a QUOTE.

4. Jun 13, 2015 #3

Ibix

Science Advisor

Responding to my own thread again, sorry. I guess what's happening is the software fixing badly nested tags - I produced something like

B QUOTE /B /QUOTE

and the forum software has fixed it by adding a /QUOTE and a QUOTE around the /B. That fixes the nesting, but breaks the formatting...

5. Jun 13, 2015 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The forum tries to organize tags in a proper hierarchy. Leaving unpaired tags (and <A><B></A></B> is not properly paired) can result in a fix with that attempt, but sometimes it leads to unexpected results.

6. Jun 13, 2015 #5
    I've always wondered why, in some posts, quoted text appears bigger than normally would. This thread sheds light on why that is the case.

7. Jun 14, 2015 #6

Ibix

Science Advisor

I guess I was just wondering if there's a better way to fix it - in my example (B QUOTE /B /QUOTE) the forum apparently decided to make it B QUOTE /QUOTE /B QUOTE /QUOTE - but B /B QUOTE B /B /QUOTE would also have fixed it and would have been invisible. Maybe there's some way to say "don't add a quote tag if at all possible"? Or, perhaps more generally, "add inline text tags in preference to paragraph tags"?

8. Jun 14, 2015 #7

mfb

2016 Award

Adding b is better than adding quotes, yes. Maybe @Greg Bernhardt knows more.

9. Jul 12, 2015 #8

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

In EDIT the strike through and underline tags simply will not turn off. Really aggravating.

eg qwerttyyyy

i tried my best to turn it off after "yyy" but it strikes through anything i type afterward.

10. Jul 12, 2015 #9

mfb

2016 Award

Remove the [s] and [/s] in the following line?

11. Jul 12, 2015 #10

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

following line? as mentor do you see something i don't ?

here' a snip of what i see (you folks taught me that trick)

oddquote.JPG

12. Jul 12, 2015 #11

mfb

2016 Award

Oh, the "rich text editor". I suggest to use the normal one (preferences), then you see the codes that are responsible for that.

13. Jul 12, 2015 #12

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Wow !

Thank Heaven ! Can you guys teach Microsoft that trick ?

14. Jul 12, 2015 #13

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That normal editor is sans the handy buttons at top for bold, image, symbols, and doesn't offer quote.
    And what i type shows up blue.
    Yukk.

I went back to rich text.

15. Jul 13, 2015 #14

DrGreg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Never mind the preferences, you can quickly switch back and forth between the two editors:
    • In the rich text editor, there's an icon at the far right of the toolbar to go to the BB code editor
    • In the BB code editor, there's a blue link under the bottom left of the editor area to go to the rich text editor
    I use the rich text editor by default, but if a problem arises I temporarily switch to the BB code editor to see if I can fix the problem from there,

16. Jul 13, 2015 #15

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

testing editors

one ping

one ping <<< copied and pasted in BBcode editor

successfully switched back

languages are learned while we are young.

thanks for the new trick, Doc !

17. Jul 13, 2015 #16

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Thanks for the new trick, Doc. Tried it , worked first time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook