1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Odd shaped beam maximum load

1. Feb 13, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This isn't homework, but I thought I would post it here as maybe more people would see it, and as I am not an engineer, it requires someone with more experience. The section is effectively an I beam with a hollow u shaped fitting along the top (see my rough sketch). I just need to know how to work out the maximum load at the end of the structure, as if it was cantilevered. I have Z, and dimensions of the materials.

2. Relevant equations
    ___
    / \
    --------
    |
    --------
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I probably have to calculate the moment of inertia, would it be somewhere towards the top of the "I" beam?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

As long as the U-fitting is small and I think it is oriented across the top of the beam, you would ignore it in trying to determine the maximum load on the beam.

If the U-fitting is intended to apply the load to the beam, that is another factor in determining how much load can be applied.

4. Feb 13, 2013 #3
    Sorry about the diagram its meant to be as though you were looking at the I. The u fitting runs the length of the beam, and it as at least as wide as the beam. I wouldn't think it was of negligible size. It isn't intended to apply load to the top of the I beam.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook