Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Odd Theory That I've Read About

1. Nov 21, 2007 #1
    Hello, I tried earlier today to explain this to some people in the forums that are purely scientific, but one of the moderators locked it, saying that I needed to explain more fully what I was trying to say. So, in this post, I will attempt to explain this theory that I've read about in several different books and websites in a more fully and comprehensible manner. Okay, this is going to sound strange, but I really curious about this, and I want to know if anyone else has heard this.
    Here is the theory in the way that I understand it:

Every time somebody creates something in their own mind, whether it be a story, movie, book, thought, etc., somewhere in outside of our own universe, another universe/dimension is created where that situation, event, person, or thing becomes a reality, no matter how bizarre it might seem. Apparently it can defy the laws of physics, because the laws of physics in another universe can be completely different from the laws of physics in our own universe. So for example, according to this theory, there is a world outside our own universe where Santa Claus exists, or..... the Easter Bunny (retarded examples, I know, but bear with me).There are seperate worlds where everything that has ever been created by our minds is real, even if it goes against the laws of physics of our own universe. A seperate world containing the events and characters from every single thing that has ever been created in everybody's minds.

That is the best I can describe this theory. Personally, I'm not sure I believe this, but I guess there's really no way to prove it. So, these are my questions:

1. Has anyone ever heard of this theory, and if so, did I accurately describe it?

2. Is there any scientific evidence at all for such a crazy notion?

I sincerely appreciate you reading this, and I hope someone will be able to shed some light on it.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2007 #2

Gold Member

Why do you call it a theory? Theories are based on evidence. Do you have any?

What you have there is whimsical speculation.

"...'pantheistic solipsism' or 'world-as-myth' — the "theory"* that universes are created by the act of imagining them..."
    *(quotes mine)

None whatsoever.
  4. Nov 21, 2007 #3
    Thank you! You're the only person who has been able to give me a straight answer. By the way, that whimsical speculation wasn't my speculation. I was simply trying to describe the things that I has read. Anyway, thanks very much!
  5. Nov 21, 2007 #4
    Well then, the 'theory' you are describing can possibly be related to that of George Berkley in the sense that things NECESSARILY exist only when they are thought of or perceived. Berkley uses this to suggest that all things in our universe continue to exist outside the human mind and that the reason for this is because of the infinite nature of God so therefore EVERYTHING is constantly in his mind.

Why couldn't it be applied to human 'concepts' as well? I highly doubt it would create 'seperate universes' as you described but possibly a world of 'concepts' that necessarily exist because they exist as thoughts.... hmmm
  6. Nov 22, 2007 #5
    See i'm of the opinion that all such 'theories' are for the layman who gave up on religion only to sell himself to 'science as the new religion'. It's bloody annoying when people spew up that phrase, but at the end of the day there's only a small subsection of society who can use the term 'theory', and i do believe 'science', with any confidence of precision.
  7. Nov 22, 2007 #6
    actually it is the opposite. Not being able to 'know' matter aside from perception would render the scientific method useless because it ALSO would depend on our perception of what it is etc. etc.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?