1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Odd Well / Quantum Tunneling

1. Apr 25, 2017 #1

gv3

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    odd-well.jpg

An electron with a total energy of Eo = 4.4 eV is in the potential well shown above.

1) Find the ratio of the wavelength in Region III to the wavelength in Region I.

λ III / λI = 1.77

2) Given that the wave function of the electron vanishes at the left boundary of Region I, what is the maximum width dof Region I such that there are no other nodes in Region I?

.29 nm

3)What is the minimum energy of an electron such that it can never escape the well in Region I?

???? eV

2. Relevant equations
    E=hf
    T= e-2bL
    b=√(2m(U-E)/ħ2)
    R= (K1-K2)2/(K1+K2)2

3. The attempt at a solution
    Originally i thought that i need to set the probability of the particle transmitting equal to zero. But e can never be zero. So then i tried setting the probability of the particle reflecting equal to 1 but that still didn't lead to anything. Am i missing an equation?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2017 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

Think about what it means for the particle to escape region I. Where would the particle be found then? What would be the energy of the particle after having escaped?

4. Apr 25, 2017 #3

gv3

It would escape if region 2. Its energy would be -.6 correct?

5. Apr 25, 2017 #4

DrClaude

The lowest energy in the diagram is 0 eV. How can the energy be negative?

6. Apr 25, 2017 #5

gv3

ah i was doing E-U. would it be .6 ev? ive tried that though and it was wrong. I was doing this thinking that the particle would be found in region 2. after rereading the chapter i read that we can never observe the particle in the forbidden region. so does this mean that the particle will be found in region 3?

7. Apr 25, 2017 #6

gv3

i got the answer keeping the above in mind. it was 3 ev. I dont get conceptually though why the energy of the particle has to equal the potential in the third well in order for the particle to get stuck in the first well.

8. Apr 25, 2017 #7

DrClaude

If you find the particle in region III, it has a minimum energy of 3 eV (plus eventual kinetic energy). Likewise, it you find it in region II, it has at least 5 eV. Therefore, if the particle has an energy < 3 eV, it can only be found in region I, hence it is trapped there.

9. Apr 25, 2017 #8

gv3

So shouldn't the question be what the maximum energy would be for it to be trapped in the first well? Since it cant have more than 3 eV to be stuck in the first well.

10. Apr 25, 2017 #9

DrClaude

The phrasing is a bit weird.

11. Apr 25, 2017 #10

gv3

Thanks for helping! :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted