Investigating Oddball Transformer: Baffling Results

• Thread starter dr strangelov
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Transformer
In summary, this setup creates a 90 degrees magnetic flux which is then converted to electric current. The current flow does not induce a voltage in the secondary coil because the magnetic flux lines are cut off after each pulse.
dr strangelov
Here is a reworked question...

If i have a secondary coil and pulse a primary that is placed 90 degrees to the secondary so the magnetic flux is at a 90 degree angle to a normal winding (secondary is wound east to west primary is north to south) then how will this effect the induced current/voltage and effect the way the electrons flow.

I have tried this but cannot explain the weird scope and meter readings.

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it may shed some light on things if someone with a good understanding of physics can give a reason why they cannot give a answer. All i have done is flip the magnetic flux 90 degrees, can it be that difficult nobody can explain it?

yours baffled

How about some pictures of your set-up and the scope patterns?

Disclaimer: I'm no Physicist.

As I recall, current flowing through a coil produces magnetic flux 90 degrees to the coil.
In a transformer, that 90 degrees is taken up by a laminated iron core.
The magnetic flux lines travel along the iron core until they encounter another coil. At that time, the magnetic flux re-converts 90 degrees back to electric current (or potential).

Assuming I understand what you're doing correctly, having one coil pass through another (like rings), your second coil is in an area generating magnetic flux, not voltage.

Thanks for the replys i shall add some more info, i do not want to over complicate things so think of this as a primary winding cutting flux at 90 degrees from the normal angle into the secondary.

Hi fester, i think you understand what i am saying the flux passes thru the wire horizontal (like rings) and not sliced thru vertical. Any idea why the magnetic flux entering the secondary would not induce a voltage, what will it do when the flux passes thru the copper wire? it must do something.

Some tests that have been done show off load only a tiny squiggle of a waveform. with a load a much larger waveform appears. For pulse input, spikes that constantly change height are observed. If a full wave bridge is added and you short the output the secondary still has voltage, say it was 12v, with the bridge + and - shorted the secondary only drops to 9v with uA current flow measured.
I have also wound more secondary coils wired in various configs to give 300+ volts shown on a scope with tiny currents measured, however it does not seem to make a real circuit, i need to understand this transformer from a physics view point.
I know people are going to think this transformer is just rubbish, but it can have a use in chemistry applying a voltage potential without current flow across a liquid. molecules being mainly made up of electrons (-) protons (+) will be affected and if you have current flow it will short out hence a new transformer design.

thanks for any input

A drawing of what you have would be very useful here.

Hi fester

A diagram (circuit and transformer) is a little off topic and only usefull if you wish to have a go at this yourself.
I suppose the best simplified diagram of what i am asking is to draw a vertical line then a horizontal line so they look like crosshairs of a gun, the vertical line is pulsed with dc and creates a magnetic flux of 1 tesla.
The question is what affect does that have on the copper atoms in the horizontal wire.

We know what happens if it is two horizontal wires, can any physics prof explain my wireing or even why this seems so far to be a tricky question?

Since the horizontal wire is copper, I'd say it would develop magnetic polarity during each pulse, which would end after each pulse.

As for your oscilloscope, given how sensitive those things are these days, I don't know what you'd see. It might be pretty strange though.

1. What is the Oddball Transformer and why is it important to investigate?

The Oddball Transformer is a type of electrical transformer that has been found to produce unusual and puzzling results in experiments. It is important to investigate because understanding its behavior could lead to advancements in transformer design and efficiency, as well as provide insights into the underlying principles of electricity and magnetism.

2. What are some of the baffling results that have been observed in the Oddball Transformer?

Some of the baffling results include unexpected changes in voltage and current, unusual heat production, and the generation of strange electromagnetic fields. These results do not align with the known behavior of traditional transformers and have left scientists scratching their heads.

3. What methods are used to investigate the Oddball Transformer?

Scientists use a variety of methods to investigate the Oddball Transformer, including conducting experiments in controlled laboratory settings, using advanced equipment to measure and analyze its behavior, and creating computer simulations to model its function.

4. What are some potential explanations for the odd behavior of the Oddball Transformer?

There are several theories that attempt to explain the odd behavior of the Oddball Transformer. Some scientists believe that it may be due to electromagnetic interference from external sources, while others suggest that there may be undiscovered physical principles at play. Another possibility is that the transformer itself may be faulty or damaged.

5. How could the investigation of the Oddball Transformer impact other areas of science and technology?

The investigation of the Oddball Transformer could have far-reaching impacts on various fields, such as electrical engineering, physics, and materials science. It could lead to the development of more efficient and advanced transformer technology, as well as shed light on fundamental concepts in electromagnetism. Additionally, the research could have practical applications in renewable energy sources and power grid stability.