Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Oddest Computer Ever

1. Nov 26, 2006 #1
    I got this desktop PC from Dell about 4 years ago, and here are the stats:

1 GB RAM (Used to be 256MB)
    2.33 Gig Pentium 4 (Probably the best at that time)
    NVidia GeForce 420MX (The worst GC ever)

Is my comp pretty mismatched, or is it ok?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2006 #2

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That would work for me.
  4. Nov 26, 2006 #3
    It would surf the web and data process just fine.
  5. Nov 27, 2006 #4
    It will work perfect as long as you aren't doing some insane excel work while trying to play Counter Strike Source on the other screen.
  6. Nov 27, 2006 #5

Staff: Mentor

Required computing power always depends on what you want to do.
  7. Dec 1, 2006 #6
    How about playing Supereme Commander?

Also, I'm thinking of building a computer for myself, but I'm gonna use at least 10-12 processors (parallel processing) for gaming, and I am 13 right now. Should I go ahead with it?

The processors are going to be CPUs of computers from 2001, which I may buy from my school.
  8. Dec 1, 2006 #7
    Wow, you really are a mad scientist. I don't mean to crush your hopes or anything, but consider the following:

-Parallel processing only gives you more threads so you can run many processes simultaneously, it doesn't actually make the computing go faster.
    -Even if it does make your game run faster, paralleling 10-12 processors...you probably won't find a motherboard that will support that configuration on the current market.
    -GPU is often the bottleneck of demanding games, not CPU.
    -Softwares won't support it anyway.

sorry kid :) good try
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?