Odds of Getting 2 Out of 3 Correct

• Thread starter swerdna
  • Start date
In summary, the odds of getting any two correct with three 50/50 choices is 3/8. This can be calculated using the formula n C r/2^n, where n is the number of trials and r is the number of successes. For example, 3 C 2 = 3 and 2^3 = 8, resulting in a probability of 3/8.
swerdna
With three 50/50 odds choices, what are the odds of getting any 2 correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
swerdna said:
With three 50/50 odds choices, what are the odds of getting any 2 correct?

What are your thoughts? It also depends on whether each choice is independent of the previous choices (like coin flips are). This is a bit too much like homework/coursework, so I'm moving it to Homework Help.

berkeman said:
What are your thoughts? It also depends on whether each choice is independent of the previous choices (like coin flips are). This is a bit too much like homework/coursework, so I'm moving it to Homework Help.
I'm far too old for it to be homework. Each choice is independant. If a person was guessing the colour of randomly presented unseen playing cards, what are the chaces of guessing any two of the thee correctly. I think it must be less than 1 in 4.

Last edited:
swerdna said:
I'm far too old for it to be homework. Each choice is independant. If a person was guessing the colour of randomly presented unseen playing cards, what are the chaces of guessing any two of the thee correctly. I think it must be less than 1 in 4.

Hey, I'm pretty old as well, and do lots of homework! :biggrin:

The key is to think of it as a decision tree. You can write it out like this, with a correct pick = 1, and a wrong pick = 0:

Code:
1st 2nd 3rd Total
 0    0    0     0
 0    0    1     1
 0    1    0     1
 0    1    1     2
 1    0    0     1
 1    0    1     2
 1    1    0     2
 1    1    1     3

There are 8 possible outcomes. How many of them result in getting 2 right?

Can you see how you would extend this to, say, a 60/40 chance of picking correctly?

Last edited:
berkeman said:
Hey, I'm pretty old as well, and do lots of homework! :biggrin:

The key is to think of it as a decision tree. You can write it out like this, with a correct pick = 1, and a wrong pick = 0:

Code:
1st 2nd 3rd Total
 0    0    0     0
 0    0    1     1
 0    1    0     1
 0    1    1     2
 1    0    0     1
 1    0    1     2
 1    1    0     2
 1    1    1     3

There are 8 possible outcomes. How many of them result in getting 2 right?

Can you see how you would extend this to, say, a 60/40 chance of picking correctly?
I have it - Thanks

If you've learned the chose formula, then a good way to do problems that have specifically 50/50 odds is this:
[tex]\frac{n C r}{2^n}[/tex] where n is the number of trials, and r is the number of successes. So, to answer your question, 3 C 2=3, and 23=8. So your answer should be [tex]\frac{3}{8}[/tex]

What is the meaning of "Odds of Getting 2 Out of 3 Correct"?

The term "Odds of Getting 2 Out of 3 Correct" refers to the probability of correctly guessing or predicting two out of three possible outcomes in a given situation or experiment. It is a measure of the likelihood of a specific result occurring.

How do you calculate the odds of getting 2 out of 3 correct?

To calculate the odds of getting 2 out of 3 correct, you can use the formula: (2/3) x (1/3) x (1/3) = 2/9 or approximately 22.2%. This formula assumes that all three outcomes have an equal chance of occurring.

What factors can affect the odds of getting 2 out of 3 correct?

Several factors can affect the odds of getting 2 out of 3 correct, including the number of possible outcomes, the difficulty of the task, and the individual's level of knowledge or expertise in the subject matter. Additionally, external factors such as luck or chance can also play a role.

Are the odds of getting 2 out of 3 correct the same as the odds of getting 3 out of 3 correct?

No, the odds of getting 2 out of 3 correct are not the same as the odds of getting 3 out of 3 correct. The former has a lower probability as it allows for one incorrect outcome, while the latter requires all three outcomes to be correctly predicted, making it less likely to occur.

How can knowing the odds of getting 2 out of 3 correct be useful?

Understanding the odds of getting 2 out of 3 correct can be useful in decision-making and risk assessment. It can help individuals or organizations make informed choices and minimize potential losses by considering the likelihood of a desired outcome.