1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Odds of being dealt 'AA' 3 times in a row in texas hold'em

1. Jun 12, 2004 #1
    What are the odds of being dealt 'AA' 3 times in a row in texas holdem.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2004 #2
    It would depend upon which layer you are and what other players got-- odds could be dependent on how you calculate them
    for example if you were first player and you got A it owuld be 4/52 but if you were second player and the first player got A it would be 3/51 if first player got A but 4/51 if they did not.

From complete blind odds- a calculation could be done but I am too tired for ACT to do that now

4. Jun 12, 2004 #3

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

McCurdy is wrong. Since all the other cards are hidden, the probability of AA is (4x3)/(52x51) for any one hand. The probability for 3 times in a row is that no. cubed. If you are talking about a long sequence of hands, the probability of 3 in a row some time is more complicated.

5. Jun 13, 2004 #4
    my method implied a little cheating :)

hey don't pretend it doesn't happen in cards

6. Jun 16, 2004 #5
    I Im talking about 'pocket aces' the 2 cards each player is dealt at start of round now the odds of being dealt 2 aces is 1 in 222 therefore
    222*222*222 = 10,941,048 - 1 am I correct

so I basically did the equivalent of winning a small fortune on the lottery except all I won was about $50

7. Jun 16, 2004 #6

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Minor quibble. According to my calculation, the odds are 1 in 221, not 222.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook