Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Odds of being dealt 'AA' 3 times in a row in texas hold'em

1. Jun 12, 2004 #1
    What are the odds of being dealt 'AA' 3 times in a row in texas holdem.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2004 #2
    It would depend upon which layer you are and what other players got-- odds could be dependent on how you calculate them
    for example if you were first player and you got A it owuld be 4/52 but if you were second player and the first player got A it would be 3/51 if first player got A but 4/51 if they did not.

From complete blind odds- a calculation could be done but I am too tired for ACT to do that now

4. Jun 12, 2004 #3

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

McCurdy is wrong. Since all the other cards are hidden, the probability of AA is (4x3)/(52x51) for any one hand. The probability for 3 times in a row is that no. cubed. If you are talking about a long sequence of hands, the probability of 3 in a row some time is more complicated.

5. Jun 13, 2004 #4
    my method implied a little cheating :)

hey don't pretend it doesn't happen in cards

6. Jun 16, 2004 #5
    I Im talking about 'pocket aces' the 2 cards each player is dealt at start of round now the odds of being dealt 2 aces is 1 in 222 therefore
    222*222*222 = 10,941,048 - 1 am I correct

so I basically did the equivalent of winning a small fortune on the lottery except all I won was about $50

7. Jun 16, 2004 #6

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Minor quibble. According to my calculation, the odds are 1 in 221, not 222.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?