1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Odds of collision

1. May 11, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The problem is what are the odds of an incident object of radius r1 colliding with any of a collection of target objects of radius r2, where the r2 objects have a number density N / m^3 = n and the incident object travels a distance L. Incident object is moving much faster than the other objects so they can be considered still.

2. Relevant equations

Collision cross-section for collision between incident object and a single target is:

σ = [itex]\pi[/itex] (r1 + r2)^2

Probability of collision for a single target object is
    P1 = σ/A
    were A is the total area of the domain in question.

Probability no collision for a single target object is 1-P1

Maybe relevant, the mean free path is
    λ = 1 / nσ

3. The attempt at a solution

My thinking is, if probability of no collision for a single target is (1-p1), then if the incident object travels a distance L, the number of targets to consider is Ln. So the total probability for no collision is

(1-p1)^(Ln)

And probability of colliding with a single one of these is 1 minus this answer.

Is this correct?

I was also trying to use the mean free path but I wasn't sure how.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2014 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Your exponent has units, that needs another factor. And then you need the limit for an infinite area.

The probability to have no collision before length L is an exponential distribution, where the mean free path gives the factor in the exponent. That is easier to set up.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted