1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Odds of lottery

1. Feb 23, 2005 #1
    if there is lottery where there are six numbers of 49 drawn and each number is discarded one drawn what are the total combinations.
    I think it would be 49 choose 6 but that only gives 14 million and I figured it would be higher. can someone verify this?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2005 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I get 13,983,816. It looks like you are right.

4. Feb 23, 2005 #3

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, it's not.

It's 49 * 48 * 47 * 46 * 45 * 44 = 10,068,347,520 = 10 billion.

- Warren

5. Feb 23, 2005 #4

jcsd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The order doesn't matter, so mathman is correct (it's the UK National Lottery I guess).

Last edited: Feb 23, 2005
  6. Feb 23, 2005 #5

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ah, okay. Silly me.

- Warren

7. Feb 23, 2005 #6
    Thats [tex] \left(\begin{array}{cc}49\\6\end{array}\right) [/tex], right?

8. Feb 23, 2005 #7

jcsd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, that's correct

9. Feb 23, 2005 #8
    ok thanks. its a candian lottery Jcsd.
    I've got another question not really the same but has to do with choosing so i'll put it here. It was a question I had on a quiz today. Hopefully I got it right
    There is a committee to consist of 5 people if there are 15 students and 18 teachers to choose from and the committee needs atleast one student and one teacher how many different committees can be formed.
    I believe i did 15c1 * 18c1 * 31c3
    is this right?

10. Feb 28, 2005 #9

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You're overcounting. If the students are labelled 1, 2, 3,... and the teachers A,B,C,D,.. then the committee 1,A,2,3,4, corresponding to selecting 1 and A as your guaranteed teacher & student and 2, 3, 4 as the 3 chosen from the 31 people left, is counted again as 2,A,1,3,4, where 2 and A are your guaranteed student and teacher and 1,3,4 are from the 31 remaining. (note: the order I've used for the committee is supposed to reflect the reasoning behind your answer)

You could try to correct this overcounting or you could take a different approach. You have 4 acceptable possibilities to make #of students+#of teachers=5, namely 1+4, 2+3, 3+2, and 4+1. Find the number of committees in each case and add.

11. Feb 28, 2005 #10

Alkatran

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Has anyone every calculated the average amount won per lottery ticket? (Including all those little sub prizes). I'd estimate it at max a dollar per ticket, min 10 cents per ticket, probably from 20 to 70.

12. Mar 1, 2005 #11

jcsd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's actyally a nice little maths project for someone to do at school, I guess that like the UK lottery the expected payout is actually dependent on how many people play the lottery and things like 'roll-overs'.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook