1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

ODE book - Hirsch or Arnold?

1. Dec 9, 2008 #1
    Want a good diffy book. Two names I hear are Arnold and Hirsch. Are they good?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2008 #2

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Arnold is brilliant, but not for a first course.

4. Dec 10, 2008 #3
    So if one did a first course in computation, one is ready for Arnold? What about 1st vs 3rd editions.
    And anything about Hirsch, or others?

5. Dec 11, 2008 #4

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't see what a course in computation has to do with ODEs. If you've already had an introductory course in ordinary differential equations, and know the standard methods to solve the basic types of equations, then you can read Arnold to get a deeper understanding of the theory.

6. Dec 11, 2008 #5

Vid

Depends on how much math you've had. Arnold is far more mathematically advanced and won't hold the reader's hand.

7. Dec 11, 2008 #6

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

as a student i had a routine ode course and never understood anything. arnol'd is more advanced but is so in a conceptually appealing and insightful way. i think it is possible that arnold could actually be more understandable than a routine first course that does not explain any of the ideas but just gives mindless computations.

i.e. the better student you are, the more suitable is arnol'd. and the fact that you are choosing only between arnol'd and hirsch tells me you are likely a strong student.

hirsch is a famous and outstanding mathematician but i think arnol'd's book is much better written pedagogically. if you are so strong that quality of writing is irrelevant to you, and all that matters is the math, there may be some topics covered in hirsch that would make it worth while.

i personally think hirsch is poorly written. but i have his differential topology book because some of the theorems in it are not in my other books.

8. Dec 13, 2008 #7
    How advanced. Are we talking Rudin advanced and real analysis, or Spivak advanced as with calculus?

in fact, what would you say are the prerequisites?

if arnold is just as rigorous as hirsch, but also better written, i dont see any reason for choosing hirsch just to have a lemma or two not mentioned in arnold.

all that remains is arnold 1st ed vs 3rd edition...

9. Dec 13, 2008 #8

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

i have the first edition which is excellent. i bought it based on advice from ana mazon review that said the prie increase for the few extra pages of the second edition i not worth it.

as a general rule, the first edition of every book is the best.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?