Where did I go wrong in solving this ODE?

In summary, the problem discussed is about solving a non-homogenous first-order ODE by using substitution and method of variation of parameters. The problematic step is the expression of the constant C in terms of C(x) and the resulting solution does not satisfy the original equation when the minus sign is used. The solution can be corrected by using the integrating factor method instead of variation of parameters.
twoflower
Hi all,

I've been just solving this one:

[tex]
y' + \frac{y}{x} = 3\sqrt[3]{\left(xy\right)^2}\arctan x
[/tex]

The problem is, one of the solutions I got doesn't pass the original equation and I can't find the mistake. Here it is:

After substituting

[tex]
z = \sqrt[3]{y}
[/tex]

and thus getting

[tex]
3z^2z' + \frac{z^3}{x} = 3\sqrt[3]{x^2}z^2\arctan x
[/tex]

dividing with [itex]z^2[/itex] (and so getting the condition for y not to be particular solution [itex]y \equiv 0[/itex])

[tex]
3z' + \frac{z}{x} = 3x^{\frac{2}{3}}\arctan x
[/tex]

To solve this, I first solved the homogenous equation

[tex]
3z' + \frac{z}{x} = 0
[/tex]

and few steps I won't write here I got

[tex]
\log |z|^3 = \log |x| + C
[/tex]

[tex]
|z|^3 = e^{C}|x|
[/tex]

[tex]
z_1 = C\sqrt[3]{x}
[/tex]

[tex]
z_2 = -C\sqrt[3]{x}
[/tex]

Well, I think this is the problematic step although I think it's ok.

To get the proper [itex]C = C(x)[/itex] for the non-homogenous equation I expressed [itex]z[/itex] in terms of

[itex]C(x)[/itex] and put it to the equation. It involved another ODE at the end of which I got

[tex]
\log |C| = \log e^{C}\frac{1}{\sqrt[3]{x^2}}
[/tex]

[tex]
C = Q\frac{1}{\sqrt[3]{x^2}}
[/tex]

I know that I should actually also write that

[tex]
C_2 = -Q\frac{1}{\sqrt[3]{x^2}}
[/tex]

but this won't give me anything new since changing the sign in front of [itex]C[/itex] in expression

[tex]
z = \pm C\sqrt[3]{x}
[/tex]

will give all possibilites.

Concerning [itex]Q[/itex], I got

[tex]
Q = \left(\frac{x^2 + 1}{2}\arctan x - \frac{x}{2} + R\right)
[/tex]

and so

[tex]
C = \frac{1}{\sqrt[3]{x^2}}\left(\frac{x^2 + 1}{2}\arctan x - \frac{x}{2} + R\right)
[/tex]

[tex]
z = \pm\frac{1}{\sqrt[3]{x}}\left(\frac{x^2 + 1}{2}\arctan x - \frac{x}{2} + R\right)
[/tex]

and finally

[tex]
y = z^3 = \pm\frac{1}{x}\left(\frac{x^2 + 1}{2}\arctan x - \frac{x}{2} + R\right)
[/tex]
Well, with the plus-signed solution, it satisfies the original equation while with the minus sign it doesn't. Which is
something that I think can be seen already from the original ODE since the left side will get negative sign while the right
side doesn't depend on the sign of [itex]y[/itex]Anyway, can you see where I did a mistake?Thank you very much!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hey Twoflower. What up? Me, when I got to:

[tex]3z^{'}+\frac{z}{x}=3x^{2/3}\text{ArcTan[x]}[/tex]

I'd treat it like a regular first order ODE and solve for the integrating factor. You know:

[tex]\sigma=x^{1/3}[/tex]

so that:

[tex]d\left[x^{1/3}z\right]=x\text{Arctan[x]}[/tex]

leaving:

[tex]x^{1/3}z=-\frac{x}{2}+\frac{1}{2}\text{Arctan[x]}+
\frac{x^2}{2}\text{Arctan[x]}+c[/tex]

saltydog said:
Hey Twoflower. What up? Me, when I got to:

[tex]3z^{'}+\frac{z}{x}=3x^{2/3}\text{ArcTan[x]}[/tex]

I'd treat it like a regular first order ODE and solve for the integrating factor. You know:

[tex]\sigma=x^{1/3}[/tex]

so that:

[tex]d\left[x^{1/3}z\right]=x\text{Arctan[x]}[/tex]

leaving:

[tex]x^{1/3}z=-\frac{x}{2}+\frac{1}{2}\text{Arctan[x]}+
\frac{x^2}{2}\text{Arctan[x]}+c[/tex]

Thank you Saltydog. Your solution is basically the same I got excepting I also have the same solution also with the minus sign.

We had been told integrating factor as an alternative to method of variation of parameters I used here since I like it more.

You know, there has to be some flaw in my approach since the minus-sign solution doesn't satisfy the ODE while the same solution, only with positive sign, does. And I can't see, why should I exclude the minus-sign solution...

1. What is ODE and why is it important in scientific research?

ODE stands for Ordinary Differential Equations. It is a mathematical tool used to model and solve problems in various scientific fields, such as physics, biology, and engineering. ODEs are important because they allow us to describe complex systems and predict their behavior over time.

2. What are some common mistakes when solving ODEs?

Some common mistakes when solving ODEs include making errors in the initial conditions, not checking for singularities or discontinuities, and using incorrect integration methods. It is important to double-check all inputs and calculations to ensure accuracy.

3. How can I identify and fix mistakes in my ODE solution?

The best way to identify and fix mistakes in your ODE solution is to follow a systematic approach. Start by checking your initial conditions, then check for any singularities or discontinuities in the solution. Next, review your integration method and make sure you are using the correct one. If all else fails, it can be helpful to consult with a colleague or a textbook for guidance.

4. Are there any resources available to help with solving ODEs?

Yes, there are many resources available to help with solving ODEs. Some textbooks, online tutorials, and software programs provide step-by-step instructions and examples for solving various types of ODEs. Additionally, there are online forums and communities where you can ask for help and get advice from experts in the field.

5. Can I use ODE solvers for any type of problem?

No, ODE solvers are designed specifically for solving ordinary differential equations. They may not be suitable for other types of mathematical problems, such as partial differential equations or stochastic differential equations. It is important to understand the limitations of ODE solvers and use them appropriately.