1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

ODE IVP Series Solution

1. Oct 26, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the series solution to the initial value problem.
    xy[tex]\acute{}[/tex][tex]\acute{}[/tex] + y[tex]\acute{}[/tex] + 2y = 0
    y(1) = 2
    y[tex]\acute{}[/tex](1) = 4

2. Relevant equations

y=[tex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=0}c_{n}(x-1)^{n}[/tex]

t = (x-1), x = (t+1)

y = [tex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=0}c_{n}t^{n}[/tex]

y[tex]\acute{}[/tex]= [tex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=1}c_{n}(n)t^{n-1}[/tex]

y[tex]\acute{}[/tex][tex]\acute{}[/tex]= [tex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=2}c_{n}(n)(n-1)t^{n-2}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I substituted the above series into the DE, adjusted the series so they all had t[tex]^{n}[/tex], and took out terms so that they all had the same starting index. By grouping the terms and the series, I got:

(2[tex]c_{2}[/tex] + [tex]c_{1}[/tex] + 2[tex]c_{0}[/tex]) + [tex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=1}t^{n}[ (n+2)(n+1)c_{n+2} + (n+1)^{2}c_{n+1} + 2c_{n}][/tex] = 0

Setting the terms and series equal to zero and finding several constants:

[tex]2c_{2}[/tex] + [tex]c_{1}[/tex] + [tex]2c_{0}[/tex] = 0

[tex](n+2)(n+1)c_{n+2}[/tex] + [tex]c_{n+1}[/tex](n+1)[tex]^{2}[/tex] + [tex]2c_{n}[/tex]] = 0

[tex]c_{0}[/tex] = -(2c_{2}[/tex]+[tex]c_{1}[/tex])/2

[tex]c_{1}[/tex] = -2([tex]c_{0}[/tex]+[tex]c_{2}[/tex])

[tex]c_{2}[/tex] = -([tex]c_{1}[/tex]+[tex]2c_{0}[/tex])

[tex]c_{3}[/tex] = [tex](2/3)c_{0}[/tex]

[tex]c_{4}[/tex] = [tex](c1-4c0)/(3\cdot4)[/tex]

[tex]c_{5}[/tex] = [tex]-(c1+5c0)/(3\cdot5)[/tex]

[tex]c_{6}[/tex] = [tex](9c1+46c0)/(2\cdot3\cdot5\cdot6)[/tex]

I don't understand how find the solution for the initial values. I can't determine a pattern for the constants for [tex]c_{n}[/tex]. Are you supposed to group these constants: y = [tex]c_{0}[/tex][ 1 + x + ...] + [tex]c_{1}[/tex][ 1 + x +...] to get the solution, and if so how do we find the constants for the initial values? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Your initial conditions y(1) = 2 and y'(1) = 4 are all in terms of x. Your power series is in terms of t = x - 1, so x = 1 corresponds to t = 0. Does that help?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook