1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

ODE Population problem

1. Feb 13, 2011 #1
    I know that the rate of change with time of a population is proportional to the square root of t. T=0 is y = 100. Population increases at rate of 20 per month.

I started out by trying to do dy/dt = p^.5. I am used to the population problems where I use y=Ce^(rt) but am having trouble making the jump to this kind. How do you account for the increase of 20/month?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2011 #2
    The population always increases at a rate of 20 per month, or is that an initial value?
  4. Feb 13, 2011 #3
    Yes, always increases at rate of 20/month and initial population is 100.
  5. Feb 13, 2011 #4
    Than the question makes no sense to me. How can the rate of increase in the population be of 20/month and proportional to the square root of t at the same time?
  6. Feb 13, 2011 #5
    You and me both then. Here is the exact question:
    The time rate of change of a rabbit population P is proportional to the square root of P. At time t = 0 (months) the population numbers 100 rabbits and is increasing at the rate of 20 rabbits per month. How many after one year? The answer I guess is 484.

How do you set up logistics equations?
  7. Feb 13, 2011 #6
    So 20/month is an initial value.

The rate of change of P, i.e. it's derivative with respect to P is proportional to the square root of P:

[tex] \frac{dP(t)}{dt} = \alpha P^{1/2} [/tex]

where alpha is a constant with respect to. You also know that

[tex] \frac{dP(t)}{dt} \bigg|_{t=0}} = 20 \ rabbits/month [/tex]

and that

[tex]P(0) = 100 \ rabbits[/tex]

Which is all the info you need to determine P(t)
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  8. Feb 13, 2011 #7
    I appreciate what you wrote but I'm still unsure on where to start. I see that I was wrong to have a p^.5 on the right. Should I go ahead and start separating variables and then moving forward?
  9. Feb 13, 2011 #8
    OOOPSSS, my mistake. I corrected it in the previous post.

Of course you should. Even in the case where you shouldn't, equations don't bite you know.
  10. Feb 13, 2011 #9
    But how do you incorporate the dp/dt = 20 and P(0) = 100? I've done the sep of variables, no problem there. Sitting on 2p^.5 = (alpha)t + C.
  11. Feb 13, 2011 #10
    Made another attempt at this, can you tell me where I'm going wrong?
    I came up with this equation after sep of variables: 2p^.5 = Bt + C.
    1) With t = 0 and initial population of 100, I came up with a C value of 100.
    2) With t = 1, population = 120, so I came up with a "B" value of 120.
    3) But then when I do time = 12, I don't get anywhere near the 484 rabbits that I should have.
  12. Feb 13, 2011 #11

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Er, did you solve for p in your equation so you have some p(t) on the left side instead of 2p^.5?
  13. Feb 14, 2011 #12
    This is wrong. What you have is P'(0) = 20. So use the derivative of P to find B. Do you realize that the rate of change in the population is the derivative of P?
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?