Shifting Origin Method for Solving ODEs

• Thread starter RJLiberator
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ode Origin
In summary: IBIn summary, the conversation was about finding a particular solution to a given problem, with the goal of shifting the origin to make the problem easier to solve. The individual attempted a solution by setting y=u\overline{x} and d\overline{y} = ud\overline{x}+\overline{x}du, but ran into complications when plugging in the integral. Another individual suggested trying instead \overline{x} = u\overline{y} and d\overline{x} = ud\overline{y}+\overline{y}du, which resulted in a simpler integral. The conversation ended with a suggestion to use Wolfram Alpha instead of symbolab for checking the result.
RJLiberator
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Find a particular solution to:
(3x+2y+3)dx - (x+2y-1)dy = 0, y(-2) = 1

The answer to this problem as presented in the book ODE by Tenenbaum is the following:
(2x+2y+1)(3x-2y+9)^4=-1.

Homework Equations

I will be shifting the origin to try to compute this problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

First:

[tex]
\frac {dy} {dx} = -\frac {(3x+2y+3)} {(-x-2y+1)}[/tex]

The system of lines is as follows:

[tex] y = -\frac {3x} {2}-\frac {3} {2}[/tex]
[tex] y = -\frac {x} {2}+\frac {1} {2}[/tex]

This system has a solution of x = -2 and y = 3/2

To shift the origin I set:

[tex] x = \overline{x}-2, y = \overline{y}+\frac{3} {2} [/tex]
[tex] \overline{x} = x+2, \overline{y} = y-\frac{3} {2} [/tex]

Now to start solving the problem we input the shifted values of x and y.

[tex] (3(\overline{x}-2)+2(\overline{y}+\frac{3} {2}) + 3)d\overline{x} + (-(\overline{x}-2)-2(\overline{y}+\frac{3} {2})+1)d\overline{y} = 0 [/tex]

This should lead (I've checked my calculations here multiple times) to:

[tex] (3\overline{x}+2\overline{y})d\overline{x}+(-\overline{x}-2\overline{y})d\overline{y}=0[/tex]

Now I'm ready to solve this using methods that I had previously learned.

[tex]Set y=u\overline{x}, d\overline{y} = ud\overline{x}+\overline{x}du[/tex]

[tex] (3\overline{x}+2u\overline{x})d\overline{x}+(-\overline{x}-2(u\overline{x}))(ud\overline{x}+\overline{x}du)=0[/tex]

Calculating this and simplifying we get:

[tex] (-2u^2\overline{x}+3\overline{x}+u\overline{x})d\overline{x}+(-\overline{x}^2-2u\overline{x}^2)du = 0[/tex]

Now, with this, I divide everything by x-bar^2. I then put it into seperable form by dividing through by (-2u^2+3+u). This becomes:

[tex] \frac {d\overline{x}} {\overline{x}} + \frac {(-1-2u)} {(-2u^2+3+u)} du = 0 [/tex]

A separable equation! Now I can integrate. I integrate and net :

[tex] log(\overline{x}) + \frac {1} {5}(4log(3-2u)+log(u+1)) + c [/tex]

I try to manipulate the solution to appear closer to the given solution as presented in the book. So I multiply by e throughout the entire solution. I then raise everything to the 5th power.

[tex] \overline{x}^5 + (3-2u)^4(u+1) = 0 [/tex]
We recall that [tex] u=\frac {\overline{y}} {\overline{x}} [/tex]

plugging in this, and then also plugging in the values for x-bar and y-bar i net:

[tex] (x+2)^5+(3-\frac{2y-3} {x+2})^4(\frac{y-\frac{3} {2}} {x+2} +1) = C [/tex]

Well, this is bad. Using the initial condition y(-2)=1 if we let x = -2 we get a fraction with 0 in the denominator.

What have I done wrong? :/

Physics news on Phys.org
RJLiberator said:

Homework Statement

Find a particular solution to:
(3x+2y+3)dx - (x+2y-1)dy = 0, y(-2) = 1

The answer to this problem as presented in the book ODE by Tenenbaum is the following:
(2x+2y+1)(3x-2y+9)^4=-1.

Homework Equations

I will be shifting the origin to try to compute this problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

First:

[tex]
\frac {dy} {dx} = -\frac {(3x+2y+3)} {(-x-2y+1)}[/tex]

The system of lines is as follows:

[tex] y = -\frac {3x} {2}-\frac {3} {2}[/tex]
[tex] y = -\frac {x} {2}+\frac {1} {2}[/tex]

This system has a solution of x = -2 and y = 3/2

To shift the origin I set:

[tex] x = \overline{x}-2, y = \overline{y}+\frac{3} {2} [/tex]
[tex] \overline{x} = x+2, \overline{y} = y-\frac{3} {2} [/tex]

Now to start solving the problem we input the shifted values of x and y.

[tex] (3(\overline{x}-2)+2(\overline{y}+\frac{3} {2}) + 3)d\overline{x} + (-(\overline{x}-2)-2(\overline{y}+\frac{3} {2})+1)d\overline{y} = 0 [/tex]

This should lead (I've checked my calculations here multiple times) to:

[tex] (3\overline{x}+2\overline{y})d\overline{x}+(-\overline{x}-2\overline{y})d\overline{y}=0[/tex]

Now I'm ready to solve this using methods that I had previously learned.

[tex]Set y=u\overline{x}, d\overline{y} = ud\overline{x}+\overline{x}du[/tex]

[tex] (3\overline{x}+2u\overline{x})d\overline{x}+(-\overline{x}-2(u\overline{x}))(ud\overline{x}+\overline{x}du)=0[/tex]

Calculating this and simplifying we get:

[tex] (-2u^2\overline{x}+3\overline{x}+u\overline{x})d\overline{x}+(-\overline{x}^2-2u\overline{x}^2)du = 0[/tex]

Now, with this, I divide everything by x-bar^2. I then put it into seperable form by dividing through by (-2u^2+3+u). This becomes:

[tex] \frac {d\overline{x}} {\overline{x}} + \frac {(-1-2u)} {(-2u^2+3+u)} du = 0 [/tex]

A separable equation! Now I can integrate. I integrate and net :

[tex] log(\overline{x}) + \frac {1} {5}(4log(3-2u)+log(u+1)) + c [/tex]

I try to manipulate the solution to appear closer to the given solution as presented in the book. So I multiply by e throughout the entire solution. I then raise everything to the 5th power.

[tex] \overline{x}^5 + (3-2u)^4(u+1) = 0 [/tex]
We recall that [tex] u=\frac {\overline{y}} {\overline{x}} [/tex]

plugging in this, and then also plugging in the values for x-bar and y-bar i net:

[tex] (x+2)^5+(3-\frac{2y-3} {x+2})^4(\frac{y-\frac{3} {2}} {x+2} +1) = C [/tex]

Well, this is bad. Using the initial condition y(-2)=1 if we let x = -2 we get a fraction with 0 in the denominator.

What have I done wrong? :/

If ##\hat{y} = u \hat{x}## does not work, try instead ##\hat{x} = u \hat{y}##.

Basically, a point on the ##\hat{y}##-axis cannot be described as lying on a line ##\hat{y} = u \hat{x}## with finite ##u##, but it does lie on a line ##\hat{x} = u \hat{y}## with finite ##u##.

Last edited:
Hi Ray, I appreciate the comment!

I'm at work right now, but I worked it out the way you suggested:

[tex] \overline{x} = u\overline{y}[/tex] and [tex] d\overline{x} = ud\overline{y}+\overline{y}du[/tex]

After plugging it all into the equation and simplifying I get a seperable expression of the following:

[tex] \frac{1} {y}d\overline{y} + \frac{3u+2} {3u^2+u-2}du = 0[/tex]

While this looks good, plugging in the integral into symbolab gives me a very, very long expression. here

This leads me to believe that this way is not working properly either. Admittedly, I did not bother plugging back in everything as that would be quite the task with that integral solution.

RJLiberator said:
Hi Ray, I appreciate the comment!

I'm at work right now, but I worked it out the way you suggested:

[tex] \overline{x} = u\overline{y}[/tex] and [tex] d\overline{x} = ud\overline{y}+\overline{y}du[/tex]

After plugging it all into the equation and simplifying I get a seperable expression of the following:

[tex] \frac{1} {y}d\overline{y} + \frac{3u+2} {3u^2+u-2}du = 0[/tex]

While this looks good, plugging in the integral into symbolab gives me a very, very long expression. here

This leads me to believe that this way is not working properly either. Admittedly, I did not bother plugging back in everything as that would be quite the task with that integral solution.

I clicked on the link you provided to see what symbolab gives, and I am not convinced it is correct. Maple gets a pretty simple result:
$$\int \frac{3u+2}{3u^2+u-2} \, du = \frac{1}{5} \ln(u+1) +\frac{4}{5} \ln(3u-2) $$
You can check that this is correct by taking the derivative. Can you check the symbolab result like that? Also: Instead of using symbolab, why not try Wolfram Alpha?

BTW: the integration can be done easily manually, because the denominator factors as ##(u+1)(3u-2)##, so the integrand can be written in partial fractions.

Last edited:
Likes RJLiberator
You are absolutely right.

I did the integration manually using partial fraction expansion and that made it a reasonable integral.

I was able to simplify it to:

[tex](y-\frac{3} {2})^5+(\frac{x+2} {y-\frac{3} {2}}) + (\frac{3x+6} {y-\frac{3} {2}} -2)^4 = C [/tex]

So, it's an answer. I feel like I made no mistakes throughout the calculation. I am 'happy' with this answer. But I'm not sure if i can manipulate it to look like the given answer from the book.

Last edited:
RJLiberator said:
You are absolutely right.

I did the integration manually using partial fraction expansion and that made it a reasonable integral.

I was able to simplify it to:

[tex](y-\frac{3} {2})^5+(\frac{x+2} {y-\frac{3} {2}}) + (\frac{3x+6} {y-\frac{3} {2}} -2)^4 = C [/tex]

So, it's an answer. I feel like I made no mistakes throughout the calculation. I am 'happy' with this answer. But I'm not sure if i can manipulate it to look like the given answer from the book.

You seem to have written that ##\ln(A) + \ln(B) + \ln(C) = k## implies ##A + B + C = k'##, but that is false: it should be ##A B C = k'## (product, not sum).

Likes RJLiberator
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

What a mistake and what a way to wake up to the morning! Problem Solved. My mistakes... noted.

Kind regards.

1. What is an ODE problem?

An ODE (ordinary differential equation) problem involves finding a function that satisfies a given differential equation. The function typically depends on one or more independent variables, and the goal is to find a solution that satisfies the equation for all values of the independent variable. This type of problem often arises in physics, engineering, and other fields where relationships between variables are described by differential equations.

2. What does it mean to "shift origin" in an ODE problem?

Shifting origin in an ODE problem means changing the independent variable such that the new origin (usually denoted as a point c) becomes the new starting point for the problem. This is often done to simplify the problem or to make it easier to solve.

3. Why would you want to shift origin in an ODE problem?

Shifting origin in an ODE problem can make the problem easier to solve by simplifying the equations or by eliminating any singularities that may exist at the original origin. It can also help to better understand the behavior of the solution by providing a new reference point.

4. What are some common techniques for shifting origin in an ODE problem?

One common technique for shifting origin in an ODE problem is using a change of variables, where the independent variable is replaced by a new variable that is related to the original one. Another technique is to use a suitable initial condition at the new origin, which can be determined by using the original initial condition and the shift in the independent variable.

5. Can shifting origin affect the solution of an ODE problem?

Yes, shifting origin can affect the solution of an ODE problem. It can change the form of the differential equation and may make it easier or harder to solve. It can also change the behavior of the solution, such as the shape of the curve or any critical points. Therefore, it is important to carefully consider the effects of shifting origin before applying it to an ODE problem.