1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

ODE Problem, shifting origin

1. Sep 10, 2016 #1

RJLiberator

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find a particular solution to:
    (3x+2y+3)dx - (x+2y-1)dy = 0, y(-2) = 1

The answer to this problem as presented in the book ODE by Tenenbaum is the following:
    (2x+2y+1)(3x-2y+9)^4=-1.

2. Relevant equations
    I will be shifting the origin to try to compute this problem.

3. The attempt at a solution

First:

[tex]
    \frac {dy} {dx} = -\frac {(3x+2y+3)} {(-x-2y+1)}[/tex]

The system of lines is as follows:

[tex] y = -\frac {3x} {2}-\frac {3} {2}[/tex]
    [tex] y = -\frac {x} {2}+\frac {1} {2}[/tex]

This system has a solution of x = -2 and y = 3/2

To shift the origin I set:

[tex] x = \overline{x}-2, y = \overline{y}+\frac{3} {2} [/tex]
    [tex] \overline{x} = x+2, \overline{y} = y-\frac{3} {2} [/tex]

Now to start solving the problem we input the shifted values of x and y.

[tex] (3(\overline{x}-2)+2(\overline{y}+\frac{3} {2}) + 3)d\overline{x} + (-(\overline{x}-2)-2(\overline{y}+\frac{3} {2})+1)d\overline{y} = 0 [/tex]

This should lead (I've checked my calculations here multiple times) to:

[tex] (3\overline{x}+2\overline{y})d\overline{x}+(-\overline{x}-2\overline{y})d\overline{y}=0[/tex]

Now I'm ready to solve this using methods that I had previously learned.

[tex]Set y=u\overline{x}, d\overline{y} = ud\overline{x}+\overline{x}du[/tex]

[tex] (3\overline{x}+2u\overline{x})d\overline{x}+(-\overline{x}-2(u\overline{x}))(ud\overline{x}+\overline{x}du)=0[/tex]

Calculating this and simplifying we get:

[tex] (-2u^2\overline{x}+3\overline{x}+u\overline{x})d\overline{x}+(-\overline{x}^2-2u\overline{x}^2)du = 0[/tex]

Now, with this, I divide everything by x-bar^2. I then put it into seperable form by dividing through by (-2u^2+3+u). This becomes:

[tex] \frac {d\overline{x}} {\overline{x}} + \frac {(-1-2u)} {(-2u^2+3+u)} du = 0 [/tex]

A separable equation! Now I can integrate. I integrate and net :

[tex] log(\overline{x}) + \frac {1} {5}(4log(3-2u)+log(u+1)) + c [/tex]

I try to manipulate the solution to appear closer to the given solution as presented in the book. So I multiply by e throughout the entire solution. I then raise everything to the 5th power.

[tex] \overline{x}^5 + (3-2u)^4(u+1) = 0 [/tex]
    We recall that [tex] u=\frac {\overline{y}} {\overline{x}} [/tex]

plugging in this, and then also plugging in the values for x-bar and y-bar i net:

[tex] (x+2)^5+(3-\frac{2y-3} {x+2})^4(\frac{y-\frac{3} {2}} {x+2} +1) = C [/tex]

Well, this is bad. Using the initial condition y(-2)=1 if we let x = -2 we get a fraction with 0 in the denominator.

What have I done wrong? :/

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2016 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If ##\hat{y} = u \hat{x}## does not work, try instead ##\hat{x} = u \hat{y}##.

Basically, a point on the ##\hat{y}##-axis cannot be described as lying on a line ##\hat{y} = u \hat{x}## with finite ##u##, but it does lie on a line ##\hat{x} = u \hat{y}## with finite ##u##.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
  4. Sep 10, 2016 #3

RJLiberator

Gold Member

Hi Ray, I appreciate the comment!

I'm at work right now, but I worked it out the way you suggested:

[tex] \overline{x} = u\overline{y}[/tex] and [tex] d\overline{x} = ud\overline{y}+\overline{y}du[/tex]

After plugging it all into the equation and simplifying I get a seperable expression of the following:

[tex] \frac{1} {y}d\overline{y} + \frac{3u+2} {3u^2+u-2}du = 0[/tex]

While this looks good, plugging in the integral into symbolab gives me a very, very long expression. here

This leads me to believe that this way is not working properly either. Admittedly, I did not bother plugging back in everything as that would be quite the task with that integral solution.

5. Sep 10, 2016 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I clicked on the link you provided to see what symbolab gives, and I am not convinced it is correct. Maple gets a pretty simple result:
    $$\int \frac{3u+2}{3u^2+u-2} \, du = \frac{1}{5} \ln(u+1) +\frac{4}{5} \ln(3u-2) $$
    You can check that this is correct by taking the derivative. Can you check the symbolab result like that? Also: Instead of using symbolab, why not try Wolfram Alpha?

BTW: the integration can be done easily manually, because the denominator factors as ##(u+1)(3u-2)##, so the integrand can be written in partial fractions.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
  6. Sep 11, 2016 #5

RJLiberator

Gold Member

You are absolutely right.

I did the integration manually using partial fraction expansion and that made it a reasonable integral.

I was able to simplify it to:

[tex](y-\frac{3} {2})^5+(\frac{x+2} {y-\frac{3} {2}}) + (\frac{3x+6} {y-\frac{3} {2}} -2)^4 = C [/tex]

So, it's an answer. I feel like I made no mistakes throughout the calculation. I am 'happy' with this answer. But I'm not sure if i can manipulate it to look like the given answer from the book.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
  7. Sep 11, 2016 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You seem to have written that ##\ln(A) + \ln(B) + \ln(C) = k## implies ##A + B + C = k'##, but that is false: it should be ##A B C = k'## (product, not sum).

8. Sep 11, 2016 #7

RJLiberator

Gold Member

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

What a mistake and what a way to wake up to the morning! Problem Solved. My mistakes... noted.

Kind regards.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted