1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

ODE problem

1. Jan 27, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] ODE problem

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A situation in which the air resistance is proportional to the velocity of an object squared.

Object dropped off of a building with height 100m.

F = -mg + Fr Fr=.5*cw*p*A*v^2

cw=.5 p = air density = 1?

2. Relevant equations

I need to come about with a solution for y(t)

3. The attempt at a solution

I've used Mathcad to help me with a problem when the velocity is proportional to only the velocity linearly, using equations derived analytically.

I just don't know where to begin with this one. I can't derive it analytically to obtain an expression for v(t) so that I can throw that into my runga-kutta solver along with the force expression as the two time derivatives.

I have tried using ODE solver, but it fails to produce anything. It works for two iterations, up to t=2, then quits on me when I try to obtain more results.

I believe my best approach is to solve this analytically, but I can't do it, my prof. did something strange with letting the variable be v^2, but the exercize he did this in was a few weeks ago, and foggy in my mind. Thanks for any help!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2008 #2
    From Newton's 2nd Law

[tex]m\,\frac{d^2\,y}{d\,t^2}=m\,g-k\,v^2\Rightarrow \frac{d^2\,y}{d\,t^2}=g-\frac{k}{m}\,v^2 \quad (1)[/tex]

where [itex]k[/itex]=constant. You can write the accerelation as

[tex]\frac{d^2\,y}{d\,t^2}=\frac{d\,v}{d\,t}=\frac{d\,y}{d\,t}\frac{d\,v}{d\,y}=v\,\frac{d\,v}{d\,y}[/tex]

thus (1) reads

[tex]v\,\frac{d\,v}{d\,y}=g-\frac{k}{m}\,v^2\Rightarrow \frac{v\,d\,v}{g-\frac{k}{m}\,v^2}=d\,y[/tex]

Integrate the above equation to obtain [itex]v=v(y)[/itex]. Then integrate
    [tex]v=\frac{d\,y}{d\,t}[/tex]
    to obtain [itex]y(t)[/itex].

4. Jan 27, 2008 #3
    ahh... thank you very much. Didn't think about the change of base.

5. Jan 27, 2008 #4
    Integrating
    [tex]\frac{v\,d\,v}{g-\frac{k}{m}\,v^2}=d\,y[/tex]
    yields

[tex]v=-\sqrt{-\frac{m\,g}{k}+c_1\,e^{-2k\,y/m}}\Rightarrow \int\frac{d\,y}{\sqrt{-\frac{m\,g}{k}+c_1\,e^{-2k\,y/m}}}=-\int d\,t[/tex]

For the first integral make the change of variables

[tex]\sqrt{-\frac{m\,g}{k}+c_1\,e^{-2k\,y/m}}=z,\, d\,y=-\frac{z}{g+\frac{k}{m}\,z}\,d\,z[/tex]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2008
  6. Jan 27, 2008 #5
    you are a lifesaver. Thanks a ton.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?