1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

ODE proof

1. Jan 18, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given that we have the equation pi which is the probability that the centre of cell i is not in A (i and A not is not important), given that cells 1 to i-1 are not in A, then we have
    $$
    p_i = \frac{1-E_{i-1}-A}{1-E_{i-1}},
    $$
    where Ei is the proportion of the total area excluded by the first i cells. The probability Ps that a proliferation attempt will be successful is then the probability that the centres of all N(t) cells lie outside A,
    $$
    P_s = \prod_{i=1}^{N(t)-1} \frac{1-E_i-A}{1-E_i}.
    $$
    Each agent excludes an area $$\pi\Delta^2$$ although the area excluded by different agents can overlap. Hence, we may write a recurrence relation for Ei as
    $$
    E_{i+1} = E_i+\pi d^2\left(1-q_i\right),
    $$
    where
    $$
    d = \frac{\Delta}{\Omega}
    $$
    and qi is the expected proportion of cells i's excluded area that overlaps with the area already excluded by the first i-1 cells. After some work we get the recurrence relation
    $$
    E_i = 1-\left(1-\pi d^2\right)^i.
    $$
    Provided that the domain size is large
    $$
    \left(d<<1\right),
    $$
    we can treat the spatially averaged agent density as a continuous variable. Combining equations Ps, Ei+1 and Ei gives
    $$
    \frac{dC_m}{dt} = \lambda C_m\prod_{i=1}^{c_m/d^2-1}\frac{\left(1-\pi d^2\right)^i-2d^2}{\left(1-\pi d^2\right)^i},
    $$
    where
    $$
    \lambda = \lim_{\tau \to 0} \left(P_p/\tau\right).
    $$
    and Pp is the probability the a cell attempts to proliferate. My question is how do we combine equations Ps, Ei+1 and Ei to get dCm/dt. In other words, how do we go from a difference/recurrence equation to a first order ODE. I have never come across this before.
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried a Taylor series but no luck. Someone please help.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2014 #2
    Where does this come from? I don't understand the relation between ##P_p## and ##\tau## in the limit.

4. Jan 18, 2014 #3
    See page 4 of the attached file for the limit and page 6 for the proof.

Attached Files:

5. Jan 20, 2014 #4
    Still struggling on how to get equation 3.9. I just don't know where the 2d^2 term and the lambdaC_m come from. I know where everything does.

6. Jan 22, 2014 #5
    I guess no one knows how to do this too :(

7. Jan 25, 2014 #6
    Still got nothing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted