Solve ODE Pulley Slippage: Find Tension w/ μ = 0.2

• Thread starter GreenCarrots
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ode Pulley
In summary, the slippage of flexible belts over shafts or pulleys of circular cross sections is an important consideration in mechanical devices, especially when the frictional contact between the belt and the shaft is about to be broken. The belt tension is not constant and increases in the direction of impending slippage. To calculate the tension, we can use the differential equation dT(θ)/dθ = μT(θ) and the known values of T(θ1) = T1. Drawing additional lines in the figure can help us determine the values for θ1 and solve for the tension, T, assuming μ = .2.
GreenCarrots

Homework Statement

The slippage of flexible belts over shafts or pulleys of circular cross sections is an important consideration in many mechanical devices. When the frictional contact between the belt and the shaft is about to be broken (that is when the slippage is imminent), a belt drive is acting under the most demanding conditions. The belt tension is not constant along the contact region. Rather it increases along the contact region between the shaft in the direction of impending slippage.

A picture is given in which a cross section of a single pulley is shown with a belt with tension T1 on one point of contact and T2 on the other, with θ1 being the point of contact from the direction T1 and θ2 being the point of contact from the direction of T2. (attached)

When slippage is imminent, the tension in the belt can be found to satisfy the differential equation dT(θ)/dθ = μT(θ)

In the figure I mentioned with the single pulley, the value of T2 can be determined by computing the solution to the following ODE in the interval θ1≤θ≤θ2:
-above equation, and T(θ1) = T1

In the figure below, calculate the tension, T, assuming that μ = .2

Homework Equations

dT(θ)/dθ = μT(θ)
T(θ1) = T1

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not too sure how to start this, I assume I'm looking for the maximum tension before slippage occurs, right?
I tried drawing some triangles to help me find theta values. I got a little confused here though, since the point of contact with the belt intersects the side of a triangle I drew. In addition, I haven't done geometry in a while, so I don't know if I can find the proper angle values given an angle, side and side. I also know that the belt is tangent to the pulley at the point of contact.
How should I approach this problem? How do I find values for θ1?
I already figured out that T(θ) = C*e^(.2θ)

Thanks.

Attachments

• PulleyProblem.png
    PulleyProblem.png
    5.1 KB · Views: 413
  • pulleyproblem1.png
    pulleyproblem1.png
    2.9 KB · Views: 398
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi GreenCarrots! Welcome to PF! :wink:
GreenCarrots said:
How do I find values for θ1?

Draw in the extra lines: the radii to the points of contact, and the (complete) line joining the centres.

All the angles will be θ1 or 90° - θ1, and you should get an easy equation adding up to 5a :smile:

1. What is an ODE pulley system?

An ODE (ordinary differential equation) pulley system is a mechanical system consisting of one or more pulleys, ropes or belts, and a load. The system utilizes the principles of static equilibrium to determine the forces and tensions involved in the system.

2. How does pulley slippage occur?

Pulley slippage occurs when the tension in the rope or belt is not enough to prevent the pulley from rotating. This can be caused by factors such as insufficient friction between the pulley and the rope/belt, high load, or excessive tension on one side of the pulley.

3. What is the coefficient of friction (μ) and how does it affect tension in a pulley system?

The coefficient of friction (μ) is a measure of the amount of friction between two surfaces in contact. In a pulley system, a higher coefficient of friction means there is more resistance between the pulley and the rope/belt, resulting in higher tension in the system. A lower coefficient of friction will result in less tension and may lead to slippage.

4. How do you solve for tension in a pulley system with pulley slippage and a given coefficient of friction (μ)?

To solve for tension in a pulley system with pulley slippage and a given coefficient of friction, you will need to use the equations of motion and the principles of static equilibrium. These equations will involve the load, the tensions in the ropes/belts, and the frictional forces. You can then solve for the unknown tension using algebraic methods.

5. How can you prevent pulley slippage in a pulley system?

To prevent pulley slippage in a pulley system, you can increase the coefficient of friction by using materials with higher frictional properties, such as rubber or rough surfaces. You can also decrease the load or tension on the system or add additional pulleys to distribute the load. Proper maintenance and regular inspections can also help prevent pulley slippage.