1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

ODE question

1. Nov 16, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

show the initial value problem x(dy/dx)=4y, y(0)=1 has no solution. does this contradict the existence theorem. please explain

3. The attempt at a solution

it is easy to find out a general solution is y=C*e^(4x), C is a constant. and for any x the right part of the equation will always be
    ~~~~I'm sorry, I made a mistake here, the general solution should be y=C*x^4

bigger than zero, so there is no solution for y(0)=-1, the question is how to explain it?

the existence theorem I learned from class is the following:
    For F(t,y,y')=0, I.C. y(x0)=y0 ...(EQ1)
    Let R be the region a<x<b, c<y<d. Such that (x0,y0) belongs to R. If f(x,y) is continuous and bounded on R, then EQ1 has a solution. The validity of the solution is in R.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

[tex]\int \frac{1}{y} dy=\int \frac{4}{x}dx[/tex]

Your general solution is incorrect. The differential eq'n can be seperated as shown above. Integrate again and simplify. Then put in the initial values and see if a solution exists.
  4. Nov 16, 2008 #3
    I agree the poster's solution is faulty...The final result should be y=B(x^4),but that also shows there is no solution fo y(0)=1!Because with 1=B*0 you cant find the solution for constant B....THERE IS NO SOLUTION AS SHOWN ABOVE,mathematically the language is understood,this part am sure of!...Now about the EXISTENCE THEOREM[this part am not so sure,its logical and could be anything,I just read it anyways]...there is no clear statement associated with the question,I dont see an EXISTENTIAL QUANTIFIER to count for anything...ALTHOUGH,abstractly I would consider that the statement "show that there is no solution for y(0)=1" is equivalent to an existential quantifier of statement "for a value x=0 there is no value y=1" which DOES NOT really contradict the existence theorem...I still have doubts and this is not something to completely count on though I hope it has been helpful!
  5. Nov 16, 2008 #4
    you are right, i made a mistake. I changed the answer.

after put the initial conditions, there is still no solutions.

6. Nov 16, 2008 #5
    thanks for your reply!

I posted the existence theorem I learned from class.

In my opinion, the function we get y=Ax^4 is continuous, however, by using the existence theorem we could not find a solution. that is the contradict point.

maybe the existence theorem is just sufficient. maybe that is why?
  7. Nov 17, 2008 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You quoted the existence theorem before as saying "If f(x,y) is continuous and bounded on R, then dy/dx= f(x,y) has a solution."

What is f(x,y) for this problem?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?