1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

ODE - Reduction of order

1. Oct 16, 2005 #1
    Hi, say I have a second order ODE [tex]a_1 \left( x \right)\frac{{d^2 y}}{{dx}} + a_2 \left( x \right)\frac{{dy}}{{dx}} + a_3 \left( x \right)y = f\left( x \right)[/tex] and I have [tex]y_H = h\left( x \right)[/tex] which satisfies the DE for case of f(x) = 0. Can I always, in principle, find the general solution to the DE for the case where f(x) is not necessarily zero by using the substitution [tex]y\left( x \right) = u\left( x \right)h\left( x \right)[/tex]. I know that there are various substitutions for second order ODEs but I would like to know if the one I mentioned always works. Any help would be good thanks.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Absolutely. The problem of course is effecting the integration: After letting y=uh and substituting into the ODE, then let:

resulting in:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?