ODE - Reduction of order

In summary: ODE. That can be solved by the integrating factor method, or by using an appropriate integrating factor. In summary, the substitution y=u(x)h(x) can always be used to find the general solution to a second order ODE, even when f(x) is not equal to zero.
Benny
Hi, say I have a second order ODE [tex]a_1 \left( x \right)\frac{{d^2 y}}{{dx}} + a_2 \left( x \right)\frac{{dy}}{{dx}} + a_3 \left( x \right)y = f\left( x \right)[/tex] and I have [tex]y_H = h\left( x \right)[/tex] which satisfies the DE for case of f(x) = 0. Can I always, in principle, find the general solution to the DE for the case where f(x) is not necessarily zero by using the substitution [tex]y\left( x \right) = u\left( x \right)h\left( x \right)[/tex]. I know that there are various substitutions for second order ODEs but I would like to know if the one I mentioned always works. Any help would be good thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Benny said:
Hi, say I have a second order ODE [tex]a_1 \left( x \right)\frac{{d^2 y}}{{dx}} + a_2 \left( x \right)\frac{{dy}}{{dx}} + a_3 \left( x \right)y = f\left( x \right)[/tex] and I have [tex]y_H = h\left( x \right)[/tex] which satisfies the DE for case of f(x) = 0. Can I always, in principle, find the general solution to the DE for the case where f(x) is not necessarily zero by using the substitution [tex]y\left( x \right) = u\left( x \right)h\left( x \right)[/tex]. I know that there are various substitutions for second order ODEs but I would like to know if the one I mentioned always works. Any help would be good thanks.

Absolutely. The problem of course is effecting the integration: After letting y=uh and substituting into the ODE, then let:

[tex]w=u^{'}[/tex]

resulting in:

[tex]w^{'}+\left(\frac{2h^{'}}{h}+\frac{a_2}{a_1}\right)w=\frac{f}{a_1h}[/tex]

1. What is "ODE - Reduction of order"?

"ODE - Reduction of order" is a method used in solving ordinary differential equations (ODEs). It involves transforming an ODE of higher order into a system of lower order ODEs, making it easier to solve.

2. When is "ODE - Reduction of order" used?

"ODE - Reduction of order" is often used when the order of an ODE is too high to solve directly, or when the ODE does not have a known analytical solution. It can also be used to simplify a complex ODE into a more manageable form.

3. How does "ODE - Reduction of order" work?

In "ODE - Reduction of order", a substitution is made to change the dependent variable from y(x) to u(x), where u(x) = y'(x). This reduces the original ODE of order n to a system of n first-order ODEs, which can be solved using standard methods.

4. What are the advantages of using "ODE - Reduction of order"?

One advantage of "ODE - Reduction of order" is that it can transform a complex ODE into a simpler form, making it easier to solve. It can also help in finding a closed-form solution to an ODE that does not have one. Additionally, it can be used to find particular solutions to non-homogeneous ODEs.

5. Are there any limitations to using "ODE - Reduction of order"?

One limitation of "ODE - Reduction of order" is that it may not always be possible to find a suitable substitution to reduce the order of an ODE. In some cases, the substitution may result in a more complex system of ODEs to solve. Additionally, the method may not work for nonlinear or time-varying ODEs.