1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ode seperable eq.

1. Feb 2, 2009 #1

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm getting confused as to what to do with the C's.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [tex]\frac{{dy}}{{dx}} + 2xy = 0[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

Back of Book: [tex]y\left( x \right) = C\exp \left( { - x^2 } \right)[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    \frac{{dy}}{{dx}} = - 2xy\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,\,\frac{{dy}}{y} = - 2x\,dx\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,\,\frac{1}{y}dy = - 2x\,dx \\
    \int_{}^{} {\frac{1}{y}dy} = \int_{}^{} { - 2x\,dx} \\
    \ln \left( y \right) = \frac{{ - 2x^2 }}{2} + C\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,\,\ln \left( y \right) = - x^2 + C\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,\, \\
    \exp \left( {\ln \left( {y + C} \right)} \right) = \exp \left( { - x^2 + C} \right)\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,\, \\
    y + C = \exp \left( { - x^2 + C} \right)\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,\,y = \exp \left( { - x^2 + C} \right) - C \\

The C from the y part is not necessarily the same C as from the x part, is it? How did they end up with only 1 C, and how did they get their C out of the parenthesis to end up multiplying by the right side?

Thanks in advance!
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2009 #2
    When you integrate both sides, you get C1 on the y side & C2 on the x side. You can combine them, to make C2-C1=C leaving it on the x side.
  4. Feb 2, 2009 #3
    Also, I don't see where you've typed out your last question. Kind of confusing me as well.

Maybe this will help. e^(x+y)=e^x e^y
  5. Feb 2, 2009 #4

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Where did this [itex]C[/itex] come from?

If you want to include a constant of integration for [tex]\int\frac{dy}{y}[/tex] You should have [tex]\int\frac{dy}{y}=\ln(y)+C\neq\ln(y+C)[/tex]

Also, you should label your constants so that you don't confuse them with each other:

[tex]\int -2x dx=-x^2+C_2[/tex]

[tex]\implies \ln(y)+C_1=-x^2+C_2 \implies \ln(y)=-x^2 +(C_2-C_1)[/tex]

but [itex](C_2-C_1)[/itex] is just going to be some constant, you may as well call [itex]C_3[/itex]

[tex]\implies \ln(y)=-x^2+C_3 \implies y=e^{-x^2+C_3}=e^{C_3}e^{-x^2}[/itex]

And then just call [itex]C\equiv e^{C_3}[/itex].
  6. Feb 3, 2009 #5

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks rocomath. I understand up to e^(-x^2) e^C . But how does that turn into Ce^(-x^2) ?
    For example, 2^3 * 2^4 doesn’t turn into 4*2^3.
    128 <> 32
  7. Feb 3, 2009 #6
    e is a positive constant, C is a constant, positive constant^constant = constant. e^C = A - better?
  8. Feb 3, 2009 #7

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks, gabba^2hey! C3 did the trick!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?