Integrating an ODE with Substitution: How to Handle Radicals?

In summary, the conversation discusses a question regarding a substitution for an ODE problem. The solution involves dividing through by x and using the usual y/x substitution, leading to a radical on the right side. The conversation then delves into the process of integrating the left side, involving hyperbolic sine and trigonometric substitution. The final solution can be expressed in terms of hyperbolic sine or logarithm.
cue928
I would appreciate any advice on the following ODE substitution question:
xy' = y + (x^2 + y^2)^.5
Dividing thru by x and using the usual y/x substitution, I get:
y' = v + (1 + v^2)^.5 but I don't know if that is right or how to integrate the left side. The book has the answer of y + (x^2 + y^2)^.5 = Cx^2
Am I not handling the radical correctly?

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like you didn't differentiate implicitly correctly. You should have a step that looks like:

v+xdv/dx = v+sqrt(1+v^2)

then

x*dv/dx = sqrt(1+v^2)

You're right, I did leave that out but I think my problem is not knowing how to integrate that radical. I tried entering it in mathematica and it came up with a hyperbolic sine if I remember correctly, is that what you are seeing?

Whenever I see a constant + variable^2 underneath the radical, I think tangent substitution. See if that you takes you somewhere.

Yes, the solution is in terms of hyperbolic sine.

Great. We "skipped" those in my Calc 2 class. If you'd be willing to opine on one other one that I am not getting right that I know doesn't involve a wild integral, I'd appreciate it. I'll post it here in a sec in this thread.

The solution doesn't have to be in terms of sinh. It can be a log.

Did you cover trig subs in your Calc2 class? That'll get you there--you don't need hyperbolics for it, though they "clean up" the end result.

x(x+y)y' + y(3x+y) = 0
I did the following steps:
x(x+y)y' = -y(3x+y)
Divide thru...
y' = -v * [ (3x+y)/(x+y) ]
Then I divided what was in the brackets by x, obtaining:
v + xv' = -v * (3 + v)/(1+v)
Speeding up a little, I get:
(1+v)/(3-v^2) dv = dx / x
I'm under the impression I need to split the left side into:
1/ (3-v^2) + v/(3-v^2) but again, I'm not sure I know how to do the integral.
The solutions manual does the whole thing in just a few steps using a method I haven't seen in my class but makes it look more simple than it really is.

The first integral can be expressed in terms of argtanh x, while the second one is very easy to integrate by a simple substitution.

1. What is ODE substitution?

ODE substitution is a method used to solve ordinary differential equations (ODEs) by substituting a new variable in place of the existing variable. This new variable is typically chosen to simplify the equation and make it easier to solve.

2. When should I use ODE substitution?

ODE substitution is most commonly used when an ODE is difficult to solve using other methods, such as separation of variables or integration factors. It is also useful when the ODE contains a variable that is not separable.

3. How do you perform ODE substitution?

To perform ODE substitution, first choose a new variable to substitute in place of the existing variable. Then, take the derivative of this new variable and substitute it into the original ODE. This will result in a new equation with only the new variable. Solving this new equation will give the solution to the original ODE.

4. What are the benefits of using ODE substitution?

ODE substitution can make it easier to solve complicated ODEs by simplifying the equation and reducing it to a first-order ODE. It can also help to identify certain patterns or transformations in the equation that may not be apparent using other methods.

5. Are there any limitations to ODE substitution?

ODE substitution may not always be possible or effective in solving all types of ODEs. In some cases, it may lead to a more complex equation that is difficult to solve. It is important to consider other methods and techniques when solving ODEs and choose the most appropriate approach for each specific equation.