ODE trouble

• Thread starter Suicidal
  • Start date
dextercioby
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
All this time i did the calculations (all of them) on both ways...They match...Do you see why??Your formula is still not correct,though,it lacks something...

Daniel.

Aha, so my equation wasn't so "wrong" after all. It yielded the correct result :rofl: And ofcourse it should. Putting aside the mathematics isn't it totally obvious intuitivly, physically why integrating the inverse of the velocity over a distance yields the time to cover this distance? So your comment on my post instead of 'useless, and incorrect' should have been: 'well ofcourse using that formula in combination with v(x) leads to the correct result but your 'derivation' isn't that neat'.

dextercioby
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Your formula should have stated:
[tex] \int dt =\int\frac{dx}{v(t(x))} [/tex]

which is different from what u've written...They're basically the same function of "x",but mine explicitely says that the "x" explicit dependence is achived implicitely...

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
Your formula should have stated:
[tex] \int dt =\int\frac{dx}{v(t(x))} [/tex]

which is different from what u've written...They're basically the same function of "x",but mine explicitely says that the "x" explicit dependence is achived implicitely...

Daniel.
You could have said that right away, then I would have agreed, then this thread wouldnt have lasted 28 posts (29 now). So in the futue please don't be so 'mierenneukerig' (I don't know the English word for it) and just correct things instead of saying it's total nonsense....Thanks...