I Ode using Fourier Transform

• Thread starter ondine4
  • Start date
Hi, let's take this ode:
y''(t) = f(t),y(0)=0, y'(0)=0.
using the FT it becomes:
-w^2 Y(w) = F(w)
Y(w)=( -1/w^2 )F(w)

so i can say that -1/w^2 is the fourier transorm of the green's function(let's call it G(w)).
then
y(t) = g(t) * f(t)
where
g(t) = F^-1 (G(w))
(inverse fourier transorm)
how can i solve the integral to find g(t)?
if f(t)=0 for t<0 and f(t)=1 for t>=0 how can i say that y(t)= 1/2t^2?

Delta2

Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Last edited:
First of all thank you for the answer :)
My problem is that i don't know why the inverse fourier tranform of -1/w^2 is tsgn(t).
using the definition of inverse fourier transform I have to calculate an integral from -infinity to +infinity of a function that has some issue in w=0.
I can use Jordan's lemma and the residue theorem but w=0 lies on the integration's curve and it's a second order pole.. how can i overcome this problem?

Delta2

Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Don't use the definition of inverse fourier transform. Use the properties of fourier transform. We know that the fourier transform of sgn(t) is ##\frac{1}{iw}## (you can prove this by the definition of fourier transform). Therefore by a known property of fourier transform (property 107 here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourier_transform#Tables_of_important_Fourier_transforms)

it follows that the fourier transform of ##t~sgn(t)## will be

##i\frac{d}{dw}(\frac{1}{iw})=-\frac{1}{w^2}##

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you very much, this is a very simple and smart method to calculate some fourier transforms :) i will keep that in mind.

jasonRF

Science Advisor
Gold Member
If you are using the Fourier transform to solve this kind of problem then you need to be a little more careful. The solution of
[tex]
-\omega^2 Y(\omega) = F(\omega)
[/tex]
is
[tex]
Y(\omega) = - \frac{1}{\omega^2} F(\omega) + a \, \delta(\omega) + b \, \delta^\prime(\omega),
[/tex]
where ##a## and ##b## are arbitrary constants that you determine by using your initial conditions.

By the way, the Laplace transform is a more straightforward way of solving these kind of problems, in my opinion.

Jason

Thank you :) yes i know that i have to add the solution of the associated homogeneus equation to find the complete solution..I wanted to use ft to solve this ode because i haven't studied laplace transform yet, thanks for the advice!