1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

ODE - where have I gone wrong?

1. Aug 4, 2005 #1
    Hi can someone please help me out with the following DE question. I'm reading ahead so as to enable myself to keep up to date so I don't how the part in italics(below) can be used so could someone please explain it to me. I'm also having trouble with the ODE itself.

Q. Given that y = x^7 is a solution of [tex]x^2 y'' - 12xy' + 42y = 0[/tex]...(1), find the general solution of [tex]x^2 y'' - 12xy' + 42y = 280x^2 + 150x - 168[/tex]...(2).

Hence find a second linearly independent solution of (1) and a particular solution of (2).

Here is what I've tried. I think this is one of those DEs with a 'partially known complimentary solution.'

Let y = u(x)v(x) = (x^7)v. Then:

[tex]
    y' = 7x^6 v + x^7 \frac{{dv}}{{dx}}
    [/tex]

[tex]
    y'' = 42x^5 v + 7x^6 \frac{{dv}}{{dx}} + 7x^6 \frac{{dv}}{{dx}} + x^7 \frac{{d^2 v}}{{dx^2 }} = 42x^5 v + 14x^6 \frac{{dv}}{{dx}} + x^7 \frac{{d^2 v}}{{dx^2 }}
    [/tex]

Substituting into equation (2) and simplifying I get:

[tex]
    x^9 \frac{{d^2 v}}{{dx^2 }} + 2x^8 \frac{{dv}}{{dx}} = 280x^2 + 150x - 168
    [/tex]

[tex]
    \frac{{d^2 v}}{{dx^2 }} + \frac{2}{x}\frac{{dv}}{{dx}} = 280x^{ - 7} + 150x^{ - 8} - 168x^{ - 9}
    [/tex]

This is a first order linear ODE in dv/dx.

[tex]
    IF = \mu \left( x \right) = \exp \left( {\int {\frac{2}{x}dx} } \right) = x^2
    [/tex]

[tex]
    \frac{d}{{dx}}\left( {\mu \left( x \right)\frac{{dv}}{{dx}}} \right) = \mu \left( x \right)\left( {280x^{ - 7} + 150x^{ - 8} - 168x^{ - 9} } \right)
    [/tex]

[tex]
    \Rightarrow x^2 \frac{{dv}}{{dx}} = \int {\left( {280x^{ - 5} + 150x^{ - 6} - 168x^{ - 7} } \right)} dx
    [/tex]

[tex]
    \Rightarrow \frac{{dv}}{{dx}} = - 70x^{ - 6} - 30x^{ - 7} + 28x^{ - 6} + c_1 x^{ - 2}
    [/tex]

Hmm nevermind about this part...I realised that when I did this on paper I wrote (d/dx)(IFv) rather than (d/dx)(IF(dv/dx)). Anyway the general solution I get, and according to answer it is correct, is:

[tex]
    y = 14x^2 + 5x - 4 + c_2 x^6 + c_3 x^7
    [/tex]

Can someone tell me how to find a second linearly independent solution of (1) and a particular solution of (2) from the genral solution that I have found? Any help would be good thanks.

Edit: A while ago when I did questions where you substitute y = Ae^(rx) as a solution, ie. the ones where you have an auxillary/characteristic equation and you solve for the roots to find the solution to the DE, the particular solution was the 'non-complimentary' of the general solution.

Comparing those sorts of questions with the general solution I found - The arbitrary constants suggest to me that (c_2)(x^6) + (c_3)(x^7) is a solution to the homogeneous equation while 14x^2 + 5x - 4 is a particular solution. Is that how the I am supposed to deduce a particular solution to (2)? Also, how would I deduce a second linearly independent solution of (1)? When I did the easier questions involving characteristic equations I simply multiplied the particular solution, I think it was, by x whenever there was a repeated root, not sure if that is related to this though.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2005 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You write, correctly, that [tex]y = 14x^2 + 5x - 4 + c_2 x^6 + c_3 x^7 [/tex].

I don't know what you mean by a "second linearly independent solution". You have two constants, c_2 and c_3. The TWO linearly independent solutions are their coefficients: x^6 and x^7 (the solution set only forms a vector space, and so the term "linearly independent" only applies, for homogenous equations). To find a specific solution, take whatever values you want for c_2 and c_3- c_2= c_3= 0 would be simple.

4. Aug 4, 2005 #3

lurflurf

Homework Helper

[tex]y = 14x^2 + 5x - 4 + c_2 x^6 + c_3 x^7 [/tex]
    This is simple
    for a particular solution chose any c2,c3
    the typical choice would be c2=c3=0 giving
    14x^2 + 5x - 4
    for a linearly independent solution take the difference of two particular solutions and make sure to use different c2 for each
    the typical choice would be c2first-1=c2second c3first=c3second giving
    x^6
    this is also clear by inspection
    for a particular solution take the stuff without constants
    14x^2 + 5x - 4
    for an independent homogeneous solution take the suff with a constant that you did not get the first time
    x^6
    Now do this simple one for practice
    y''+y=exp(x)
    y=exp(x)/2+c1 cos(x)+c2 sin(x)
    find two linearly independent solutions to the homogeneous problem
    and a particular solution

5. Aug 4, 2005 #4

saltydog

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For the record, this is a particular case of the Euler-Cauchy Equation:

[tex]x^2y^{''}+axy^{'}+by=0[/tex]

In general, powers [itex]y=x^m [/itex] decrease by 1 when we differentiate, [itex]y^{'}=mx^{m-1}[/itex],[itex]y^{''}=m(m-1)x^{m-2}[/itex]. Hence they should solve linear differential equations in x, xy', and [itex]x^2y''[/itex].

So, letting:

[tex]y=x^m[/tex]

and substituting into the ODE:

[tex]m(m-1)x^m-12mx^m+42x^m=0[/tex]

Avoiding the case x=0 and dividing through by [itex]x^m[/tex] yields:

[tex]m^2-13m+42=0[/tex]

For which the roots are 7 and 6. That is, the general solution for the homogeneous equation is:

[tex]y(x)=c_1x^7+c_2x^6[/tex]

6. Aug 5, 2005 #5
    Thanks for the help guys. I'll need to go over some definitions. At the moment it's probably best if I just stick with solving some DEs until the theory is covered.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?