1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: ODE with Laplace transform

1. Dec 13, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The solution to the ODE y''(t) + 4y(t) = 1 + u(t − 2), y(0) = 0, y'(0) = 0 is given by...

3. The attempt at a solution

OK well I figured this one is good to solve with Laplace transforms. So I took the Laplace of both sides to obtain (s2 + 4)Y(s) = [e-2s/s] + 1/s, which equals (e-2s + 1)/s. Isolating Y(s) gave me (e-2s + 1)/s(s2 + 4). I used partial fraction expansion to obtain (1/4) - (1/4)cos2t, but this is apparently only half of the whole answer, given as (1/4)(1 − cos 2t) + (1/4)(1 − cos 2(t − 2))u(t − 2). What am I missing?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

How are you expanding in partial fractions? What expansion did you get? In particular shat happened to the [itex]e^{-2s}[/itex]? It's very easy to see that [tex]y= \frac{1}{4}(1- cos(2t))[/tex] satisfies y"+ 4y= 1, y(0)= 0, y'(0)= 0, not the equation you have.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook