Solving ODEs Involving ln: Explained

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of inverse operations in solving equations and the concept of e^c and its relationship to ln(x). The question is raised about the presence of a second exponential function and its exponent in the resulting equation. The answer clarifies that e^c is defined as A and provides an example of how it is used in the equation. The conversation ultimately seeks to understand why the resulting equation does not have the form of Ae*(1/2)*(t^2)+2t.
Ry122
I don't understand what is happening in the following problem.
What happens to ln when it moves to the RHS?
Why are there two exponential functions on the RHS and why is e^c made to equal A?
http://users.on.net/~rohanlal/mathproblemln.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
c is a constant, so what does that make [tex]e^c[/tex]? Isn't that just some other number? Couldn't you just call that other number A? Also I do not see 2 exponential functions, I only see one...

ln doesn't "move" to the right hand side! You should have learned not to use "baby" language like that long ago. If you have an operation on the left side of an equation that you want to eliminate, you do the opposite or inverse operation:
1) if 2 is added to, the inverse of "add 2" is "subtract 2": x+2= 1 becomes x+ 2- 2= 1- 2 or x= -1.
2) if 3 is multiplied by x, the inverse of "multiply by 3 is "divide by 3": 3x= 1 becomes (3x)/3= 1/3 or x= 1/3.

3) If the problem is ln(x)= 1, you do the inverse of ln. What is the inverse of y= ln(x)?

What is the inverse of y= ln(x)?

e to the power of c i'd assume.But still that leaves the question of why there is a 2nd e
and why it is raised to the power of all of the terms that were initially on the RHS.

Yes, the inverse of y= ln(x) is y= ex (not "c").

So if ln(x)= a, what is x?

well a=e^x
so therefore aloge=x
but that still doesn't answer my question

Maybe this will clarify things:

[tex]e^{\frac{t^2}{2}+2t+c}=e^{c}e^{\frac{t^2}{2}+2t}=Ae^{\frac{t^2}{2}+2t}[/tex]

where I used that [tex]e^{a+b}=e^ae^b[/tex] and [tex]A=e^c[/tex] by definition.

why doesn't the resulting equation
look like Ae*(1/2)*(t^2)+2t
rather than Ae^(1/2)*(t^2)+2t

1. What is an ODE?

An Ordinary Differential Equation, or ODE, is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is typically used to model physical phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and biology.

2. How do ln functions appear in ODEs?

The natural logarithm function, ln, may appear in ODEs when modeling exponential growth or decay. It is often used to describe the rate of change of a quantity over time.

3. What is the process for solving ODEs involving ln?

The process for solving ODEs involving ln is similar to solving other types of ODEs. First, the equation must be rearranged so that the dependent variable and its derivatives are on one side, and the independent variable and other terms are on the other side. Then, the equation can be solved using techniques such as separation of variables, integrating factors, or power series.

4. Are there any special considerations when solving ODEs with ln?

Yes, there are a few special considerations to keep in mind when solving ODEs with ln. One important consideration is that the natural logarithm function is only defined for positive values, so any solutions obtained must be checked to ensure they are within the appropriate domain. Additionally, ln functions may require the use of a different integration technique, such as integration by parts.

5. How can I check if my solution to an ODE involving ln is correct?

To check if a solution to an ODE involving ln is correct, you can substitute the solution back into the original equation and see if it satisfies the equation for all values of the independent variable. Additionally, you can compare your solution to known solutions or use numerical methods to approximate the solution and compare the results.