1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

ODEs: Not sure why

1. Jul 14, 2005 #1
    I was reading something about ODEs and I came across a section which discusses the generalisation of first-order isobaric equations to equations of general order n. The definition I have is that an n-th order isobaric equation is one in which every term can be made dimensionally consistent upon giving y and dy each a weight m, and x and dx each a weight of 1.

The "weights" referred to are the same as those for first order isobaric equations so I follow that part. What I don't understand is the process used to determine the weights of each term in an isobaric ODE. For example:

[tex]
    x^3 \frac{{d^2 y}}{{dx^2 }} - \left( {x^2 + xy} \right)\frac{{dy}}{{dx}} + \left( {y^2 + xy} \right) = 0
    [/tex]..eq1.

The book says that from left to right, the "weights" of each term on the LHS are m+1, m+1, 2m, 2m, m + 1.

From an earlier section, an example of a first order isobaric equation is:

[tex]
    \frac{{dy}}{{dx}} = - \frac{1}{{2yx}}\left( {y^2 + \frac{2}{x}} \right)
    [/tex]...eq2

Weights are assigned to y, dy, x and dx as before. However, unlike with eq1, to determine the weights of y, dy, x and dx, eq2 is rewritten as [tex]\left( {y^2 + \frac{2}{x}} \right)dx + 2yxdy = 0[/tex] and then the weights are determined.

I would've thought that the method used(as in move everything to LHS) to determine the weights of the terms in eq1, would be applicable to eq2. After all, isn't eq2 just a 'special case' of equations like eq1? I'm just wondering why eq1 can be left as it is in determining the weights of y, dy, dx and x whereas eq2 needs to be rearranged prior to the assignment of weights. Any help would be good, thanks.

Edit: Fixed first paragraph. The terms x and dx are assigned weights of 1 not m.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2005
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted