Searching For QG: Is There an End to the Possibilities?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary: It is not a thing, it is a verb. mass is a verb too, in that sense. But mass is the only verb that never changes, no matter who observes it, while energy in any form is frame dependent. So mass is the more curious of the two.In summary, quantum gravity is the study of the geometry of spacetime and it will continue until life-forms figure out how to use it for various purposes. The study of spacetime will likely involve discovering the unknowns of mass and energy, but it is expected to continue until it can be actively utilized.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Of all possibilties, is infinite, if any where where will the search for qg stop ?

Physics news on Phys.org
wolram said:
Of all possibilties, is infinite, if any where where will the search for qg stop ?

quantum gravity is simply the study of spacetime itself

(gravity is the geometry of spacetime. "quantum" is only a word indicating our present level of understanding. the important thing is to understand gravity-----that is the geometry of spacetime---better)

you ask, very reasonably, WHEN WILL THE STUDY OF SPACETIME and its geometry STOP?

I will try to answer this, since it's you wolram.

Life-forms will usually study something until they figure out how to eat it, or cook with it, or use it as a weapon.

these generally turn out to be different kinds of burning.

this business with gravity is a classic case, wolram.

Lifeforms (whether human or not) will continue studying spacetime until they figure out how to burn it.

we have a long ways to go

didn't anybody else read Slaughterhouse Five?

marcus said:
didn't anybody else read Slaughterhouse Five?

Yes, I read it twice, but I don't have your literary recall!

you have great literary recall, I just happened to be impressed by a small anecdote in Vonnegut's S5
where there are these advanced beings who look like brooms
and at the top-end of each broom handle there is a hand, with an eye in the palm of the hand.

in situations where we would want to WINK they close and open their hand several times rapidly, which has the same effect as winking.

they are four dimensional beings who can each of them put their now-consciousness at any point along their world line and live in any part of their life they want to

they know how the world ends

Last edited:
they know how the universe ends
This is how it ends: one of them is a test-pilot whose job is to test new flying saucers
It is a new model fighter---with a newly developed propulsion engine, very spiffy, expected to be really hot.

He presses the starter button and the universe ends.

these beings are four dimensional and for them everything has already happened. the humans ask them why don't they NOT build the new saucer engine (I think it must derive power by consuming space or time, but Vonnegut does not say).
they just look puzzled and open and close their hands very rapidly (which is how they express embarrassed laughter at a silly question). It does not occur to them to try NOT to destroy the universe because for them it has already happened.

That question sounded rude, it was not meant to be.
My thoughts were more like, may be qg is unsolvable without including the
other unknowns, "what is mass", "what is energy", and that the bottom up
method is like attempting to jump several stages of learning. clumsy uneducated
thoughts i know.

Hi wolram, I already answered. Maybe someone else can give you a different answer but this is the best one I can think of. (It's my own thought on the subject you raised, not actually taken out of Vonnegut's story but you might say inspired by it.)

Life-forms will usually study something until they figure out how to eat it, or cook with it, or use it as a weapon.

these generally turn out to be different kinds of burning.

this business with gravity is a classic case, wolram.

Lifeforms (whether human or not) will continue studying spacetime until they figure out how to burn it.

we have a long ways to go

I think the essence of your question was when will the study of spacetime (and the curved geometry we experience as gravity) stop. I am saying that this study will probably continue until we, or whatever other species they have then, figures out how to USE it.

consume it, harness its expansion, make more of the stuff for particular purposes, hide in it, lay eggs in it, destroy it, use it as a weapon, make art out of it, whatever life-forms USE stuff for------the particular use I would not expect anyone to be able to predict at this stage.

wolram said:
That question sounded rude, it was not meant to be.
My thoughts were more like, may be qg is unsolvable without including the
other unknowns, "what is mass", "what is energy", and that the bottom up
method is like attempting to jump several stages of learning. clumsy uneducated
thoughts i know.

Umm, I think the first question is already going away. Baryonic mass is presented in the Standard Model as an interaction, no more primary than magnetism is in EM. Now Dark Matter (nonbaryonic mass of some kind) is another question, we have no agreed-on theory of that, but if I was to make a bet, it would be that it is an interaction too.

Energy is the ability to do work.

1. What is QG and why is it important to search for it?

QG stands for "quantum gravity" and it is a theoretical framework that aims to reconcile the theories of general relativity and quantum mechanics. It is important to search for QG because it could potentially provide a more complete understanding of the fundamental laws of the universe, and could have significant implications for our understanding of space, time, and gravity.

2. How do scientists search for QG?

There is no one set way to search for QG, and scientists use a variety of approaches and techniques. Some focus on theoretical models and mathematical calculations, while others conduct experiments and observations using advanced technologies such as particle accelerators and gravitational wave detectors.

3. Is there an end to the possibilities in the search for QG?

It is not known if there is an end to the possibilities in the search for QG. As with any scientific endeavor, new discoveries and advancements can open up new avenues of research and lead to new possibilities. It is an ongoing and evolving field of study.

4. What are some potential implications of finding QG?

If QG is found, it could have significant implications for our understanding of the universe and could potentially lead to advancements in technology and our ability to manipulate gravity. It could also help solve some of the biggest mysteries in physics, such as the nature of black holes and the beginning of the universe.

5. How close are we to finding QG?

At this point, it is difficult to say how close we are to finding QG. Some theories and experiments have shown promising results, but more research and experimentation is needed. It is a complex and challenging problem that may take many years, or even decades, to solve.