Calculate # of Combinations: Projects 1-5

In summary, there are 32 distinct ways to do the projects, assuming that the order in which they are done does not affect the outcome. However, if the order does matter, there could be more than 32 ways, with the exact number being calculated using the formula \sum_{k=0}^{n}k!\binom{n}{k}. This formula yields 326 distinct ways for n=5 projects.
rsala004
Lets say you have a bunch of projects to do, says project 1,2,3,4,5.

You don't have to do them all, in fact you don't have to do any of them...and the order you did them in has no effect on how they come out.

how many ways can this be done? examples, 12, 1234, 234 or no projects at all

edit:
My quick assumption to solving this problem is that you either do the project or you dont...so i guess you have 2 choices 5 times.
2*2*2*2*2 = 32, is this the solution?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I would ask: how many ways can you do 0 of the projects? 1 project? 2, 3, 4, all of them?

The total number of ways should then be (# ways 0)(# ways 1)(# ways 2)(# ways 3)(# ways 4)(# ways 5), which is more than 32.

This one is easy enough to just list by hand, considering the number of combinations of picking zero to five of the projects. It's 32.

The long way: Number of ways to pick 0 + Number of ways to pick 1 + ... + Number of ways to pick 5 = 1 + 5 + 10 + 10 + 5 + 1 = 32.

Or: 25 = 32.

The connection is the beautiful theorem:

[tex]\displaystyle\sum_{k=0}^n\binom{n}{k}=2^n[/tex]

Just to be sure ... if the person decided to do project 3 first, then 5, and nothing else (i.e. 35), you're saying that would be the same as doing 5 first then 3 (i.e 53 = 35)?

If that's the case, then yes, I believe you have it correct, 32 outcomes.

But, if you mean that you can do the projects in any order, but they still count as a distinct way of doing it (i.e. 12345 and 54321 are two ways of doing it), then it would be more than 32 ...

Bingk said:
Just to be sure ... if the person decided to do project 3 first, then 5, and nothing else (i.e. 35), you're saying that would be the same as doing 5 first then 3 (i.e 53 = 35)?

If that's the case, then yes, I believe you have it correct, 32 outcomes.

But, if you mean that you can do the projects in any order, but they still count as a distinct way of doing it (i.e. 12345 and 54321 are two ways of doing it), then it would be more than 32 ...
True enough!

In that case, the total number will be:
[tex]\sum_{k=0}^{n}k!\binom{n}{k}[/tex]
For n=5, this amounts to:
[tex]1*1+1*5+2*10+6*10+24*5+120*1=326[/tex]
distinct ways.

I agree, 2^5 is the answer the OP wants.

arildno said:
In that case, the total number will be:
[tex]\sum_{k=0}^{n}k!\binom{n}{k}[/tex]
For n=5, this amounts to:
[tex]1*1+1*5+2*10+6*10+24*5+120*1=326[/tex]
distinct ways.

http://www.research.att.com/~njas/sequences/A000522

Last edited by a moderator:
thank you

What is the formula for calculating the number of combinations for Projects 1-5?

The formula for calculating the number of combinations for Projects 1-5 is nCr = n! / r!(n-r)!, where n is the total number of items and r is the number of items being chosen for each combination.

How many combinations are possible for Projects 1-5?

The number of combinations possible for Projects 1-5 depends on the specific parameters of the projects, but it can be calculated using the formula mentioned above.

Can the number of combinations for Projects 1-5 be calculated if the projects have different numbers of items?

Yes, the formula for calculating combinations can be used for projects with different numbers of items. You would just need to adjust the values of n and r accordingly.

What is the difference between combinations and permutations?

Combinations and permutations are both ways of selecting items from a larger set, but the main difference is that combinations do not take into account the order of the items, while permutations do. In other words, combinations are groups of items, while permutations are ordered arrangements of items.

How can the number of combinations for Projects 1-5 be useful in a scientific study?

The number of combinations for Projects 1-5 can be useful in a scientific study for determining the various ways in which the projects can be combined or arranged. This can help in optimizing experiments or finding the most efficient way to complete tasks.