1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Off center elastic collision

1. Nov 1, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The mass m1 has the velocity (v1i)\hat{i} and makes an off-center collision with m2=2m1. The final velocities are v1f=a1\hat{i}+b1\hat{j}, and v2f=a2\hat{i}+b2\hat{j}. Assuming elastic collision and v2i=0m/s, obtain the values of a1, a2, and b2 for the given value of b1. Also obtain the angles \theta1 and \theta2 of v1f and v2f with the x-axis. Retain the solutions for a1>0.

m1 = 3.20kg
    v1i = 11.2m/s
    b1 = 4.12m/s

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

First I broke down the conservation of momentum equation into it's vector components.
    m1v1i = m1a1 + m2a2 and 0 = m1b1 + m2b2. I then solved for b2 by setting b2 equal to
    -m1b1/m2. Then I attempted to solve for a1 and a2 by using KEi=KEf because energy is conserved in elastic collisions. KEf = 1/2m1v1i2 = 1/2m1(a12 + b12) + 1/2m2(a22 + b22)

I keep getting the wrong units when I solve for a1 or a2 in one equation though. I can't figure out what i'm missing about this problem. Thanks in advance for any help!
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2008 #2

Gold Member

Ok your first step is correct however to simplify matters, you can use V1 - V2 = -(V1 - V2) (x and y components of course)

Then solve for either V1 or V2 and plug it into your momentum equations.

Also note that the final angle adds up to 90 degrees
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?