Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Off Topic?

1. Jul 1, 2003 #1
    I am not argueing with this, but i would like to know what is classified as off topic for future reference.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 1, 2003 #2

Hummm, reading the rules "might not be" a "waste of time" after all, hummmmmmm..................
  4. Jul 1, 2003 #3
  5. Jul 1, 2003 #4
    interesting, still would like to know what is meant by off topic.
  6. Jul 1, 2003 #5
    Might I use an example? If I were to have a thread on Quantum Mechanics, then it would be most "off-topic" for someone to post "Elizabeth Hurley's hot!". Also, if I were to start a thread on (for example) consciousness - in the Philosophy section - and we were to have a discussion going on about the nature of consciousness, and then someone starts posting Scriptures about resurrection, these would be deleted.

If you want an example that has actually happened before, think of the time when the "Logic" thread (at least, I think it was the "Logic" thread) was side-tracked for like four pages, with Lifegazer's approach to Relativity. These posts (the ones with reference to Relativity and Lifegazer's viewpoint) were moved into a thread of their own, and deleted from the "Logic" thread.

Does that help at all?
  7. Jul 1, 2003 #6
    Yea thanks for that mentat, i was thinking along those lines i was wanting to know how some of my other posts have been off topic but i cant remember what they where in the first place.
  8. Jul 1, 2003 #7
    Elizabeth Hurley's hot
  9. Jul 1, 2003 #8

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

i think this thread is in the wrong place...it may need to be moved to the feedback forum...
  10. Jul 1, 2003 #9

Another God

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

GW sponge.
  11. Jul 2, 2003 #10
    I want to learn philosophy!

Philosophy is fun, isn't it! I always see words like consciousness, free will, determinism, etc in the philosophy forum. Can someone explain these terms for me? Thanks.
  12. Jul 2, 2003 #11
    i can't quite tell if this is a joke or not, KL Kam. if not i'd be happy to, but i don't want to embarrass myself if it is.
  13. Jul 2, 2003 #12
    I think he must be joking.
  14. Jul 2, 2003 #13
    It's an example to show what is off-topic.
  15. Jul 2, 2003 #14
    apples are green. but sometimes they are red. avoid the orange ones.
  16. Jul 2, 2003 #15
    OH **** whats wrong with the Orange ones?
  17. Jul 2, 2003 #16
    they sink battleships
  18. Jul 2, 2003 #17
    i think this thread should be moved back to general discussion, especially if it goes where i think its goin
  19. Jul 3, 2003 #18
    You mean going off topic?!?
  20. Jul 3, 2003 #19
    to go to a different topic altogether, isnt it good that we have such a diverse community of members here at Physicsforums i can remember when i first started using this website and it was mostly about the science back then and the topics didnt tend to go this far astray from the origional post.
  21. Jul 3, 2003 #20
    Ex: if you are in a thread dedicated to alber einstein, you should not post a reply about the revolutionary war.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?